Chapter 65

I have my first scan today, the one that can tell us the gender of the baby

I have my first scan today, the one that can tell us the gender of the baby. Alex and I are going early so we can head straight down to our jobs afterwards. "Hey Sophia." I greet placing a comforting hand on my stomach, the OB gives me a bright smile only someone from OB can master. She pushes the door open to the room and lets us walk in first "hey Andy, how are things?" I nod my head and settle down on the bed. I glance at my fiancee "it's good, nothing feels off." Sophia switches on the machines and i lift up my shirt.

"Ok so this is a routine scan." She says becoming professional "did we want to find out the sex today?" I look over at Alex who shrugs and comfortingly takes my hand in his own "whatever you want I'm happy with." I turn back to our OB and tilt my head gently to the side "we'd like to know the sex please." Honestly, I'm too impatient to wait until they are born, plus my mum will want to start getting personalised things for when they do decide to make an appearance. Sophia nods and we start to scan "there she is." She says gently touching the screen and I snap my eyes to Alex.

His expression softens and he comes closer "she's a girl?" He asks and Sophia nods her head, smiling brightly "congratulations Andy." I smile and squeeze Alex's hand. We are having a baby girl.

Derek and I are sitting in a scan room staring up at the scans from his patient, a girl taken when she was 6 years old and only just escaped. "That must have been so hard for her parents." I say and he glances at me "it goes without saying it was awful for her." I add, slumping down in my chair. I suck in a breath "but I can't help but think of what her parents must have been going through, knowing she was out there somewhere, maybe even down the road but they couldn't do anything about it." Derek sighs and leans back in his own chair "if you're like this now, I dread to think what you are going to be like when you actually have the baby."

I snort and take a sip of my coffee "oh yeah, I'm gonna be a monster." I say and Derek scoffs.

8 Days later

Alex and I are sitting on the sofa at home, my feet on his lap and the tv control in my hand. "Are you sure Robbins is trying to get me interviews?" Alex asks breaking our peaceful silence, I look over at him "yeah, of course, she is." He sighs and takes a sip of his beer. He places the empty bottle on the coffee table and starts massaging my feet "are you sure you're ok with moving across the country if I get a job somewhere else?" He asks and I give him a sideways glance.

I change the channel "why all the questions?" I ask and he shrugs his shoulders, still massaging my feet "I just want to make sure you are ok with me looking at places away from Seattle." I change the channel again trying to find something good to watch on TV. "Honestly Alex, if your best opportunity is somewhere else of course I would move, I already have a career and lots of places are looking for an experienced Peds surgeon. It's not like I would be struggling for a job."

Alex leans over and kisses me on the forehead "I love you, Andy." I snort and snuggle down further into the pillows "you'd be lost without me Karev."

-

The next day I am standing silently with Arizona as we fill out some paperwork when Alex comes storming over to us with a face like thunder. "You know who's an awesome mentor?" He asks the blonde angrily who seems clueless about his feelings as she answers "you're gonna say me, and we're gonna high-five right?" I roll my eyes and shake my head at my clueless colleague. Alex glares at her "Sloan." He retorts "he gets Avery interviews at hospitals that have more to offer than the sundaes in their cafeteria." Alex told me about that and I found it so hilarious I was stood laughing for 10 minutes.

"Relax." Arizona replies "I just heard back from a colleague in Florida, and he's dying to meet you." I laugh but try to cover it with a cough earning a jab in the arm from Arizona. This catches Alex off guard "Miami?" He asks and Arizona shakes her head, looking back at her chart "Tampa. Well just outside." He scrunches up his face as he looks at his mentor in confusion "why are you doing this?" He asks "I thought you liked me." Arizona shuts the chart awkwardly. "I do." She explains "that's why I've spent tons of time turning you into a great doctor. And now for my trouble, what, you're gonna ditch me for some other program?"

Alex raises a finger accusingly "you don't want me to go." He states "you've been tanking my recommendations." Arizona's expression changes into something that resembles a kid being told off. "I know." She says in a whisper "it's awful. I feel guilty about it. But you don't know how hard it is to find a good peds fellow, and I'm not gonna let them take my best candidate. Plus it would really suck if I had to take over Andy's job. She's so good at it." I snort and continue with my paperwork. "I'm your best?" Alex asks, a cocky smirk on his face. My pager buzzes and I leave them to it.

A/N: This is just a filler chapter but I wanted to give you guys something on Christmas. If you don't celebrate Christmas think of this as a Sunday present :)