Chapter 10

THANKSGIVING EVE

THANKSGIVING EVE

I have just finished up rounds and Jackson comes over to me "what are you tomorrow?" He asks and I shrug, clutching the charts closely to my chest "my family our coming down." I answer, honestly it's the thing I have most been dreading mostly because I haven't told them about Alex and I breaking up and everything that happened in between and I know they are going to ask me where he is.

"Are you going to see your mum?" I ask handing them nurses my files, Jackson leans against the desk his blue eyes looking intensely at me "she is still in New York" he tells me "she said she loves me but is too busy to come and see me." I snort and lean opposite him on the desk "so no family meals with mama Avery?" He shakes his head and then I get paged to the pit "gotta run!" I say and race down the hall.

The pit is busy and I weave through the crowd to the person who paged me "yeah Karev what's up?" I ask when I'm finally in talking distance "I have a fourteen year old boy, apparently he has struggled to keep food down and he has pain in his abdomen." I nod my head and follow him to a bed.

Sitting on the bed is a boy with bright red hair and dark green eyes, there is a woman sitting next to him looking tense "hello Chris" I greet with a smile as I read over his chart "what can I do for you today?" The woman, presumably his mother scoffs and rolls her eyes "we already told that other doctor what was wrong with him." She spits harshly "why have we got to tell you?" I glance back at Alex who is standing behind me and observing "I am the head of paediatric surgery" I explain calmly to the woman who looks like she would rather bite her own arm off than talk to me "doctor Karev here decided to consult me."

The woman sits back in her chair "his stomach hurts." She finally answers me "and he keeps throwing up his food, any time we try to give him something," I nod my head and start to listen to Chris' heart beat. While I'm doing that I look up and at Alex, signalling for him to ask the mum some questions. He clears his throat and steps forward "is there a history of heart problems in the family?" The woman sits up straighter, playing with her hands in her lap as she replies "I don't know." Both Alex and I frown deeply "you don't know?" He asks and she shakes her head gently "Chris is adopted, he don't know anything about his birth parents."

Alex looks at me with raised eyebrows and I finish examining him "alright Chris we are going to take some blood, see what's going on alright buddy?" He nods his head slowly and I turn to Alex "get me a AFP and a PSA. Page me when the results are in." Alex looks at me intensely for a moment before moving to take the blood and I go and check on my other patients.

Standing in the ER doing paper work on Chris Jamerson I notice a blonde with a red shirt on walk unsurely in through the emergency doors. Alex is standing next to me, completely oblivious as she comes over to him "excuse me." She says and he jumps slightly, he turns around and the blond says "I'm looking for doctor Mark Sloan." Alex clutches his chart and points across the ER "see the dude who was burned trying to deep-fry a turkey? Sloan's the guy making him scream like a girl." I snort and the woman shoots me a look as though she has just noticed I'm there before flashing a smile and walking over to him.