Chapter 12

When I get into work this morning I find Jackson looking at the OR board with his jaw clenched "hey baby" I say gently touching his arm as I pass "what's wrong?" He glances over at me before turning his attention back to the board "the chief is le...

When I get into work this morning I find Jackson looking at the OR board with his jaw clenched "hey baby" I say gently touching his arm as I pass "what's wrong?" He glances over at me before turning his attention back to the board "the chief is letting Meredith do a fifth year procedure on a case that is mine." He says after a moment. I frown and look at the board, Jackson laughs "it's so stupid."

I sigh and let my hand graze his "if a surgery comes up later I'll let you know." I promise but he shakes his head "I don't want to go into peds Andy. I want general." I step back, acting as though that wasn't a slap in the face when I'm trying to do something nice for my boyfriend "fine." I mutter "forget it."

I am standing with Derek on the bridge when Bailey comes over and joins us "you heard the chief was operating today?" She asks with the tone that usually suggests she disapproves of something "took my Whipple and is having Meredith Grey do the pancreatic dissection. A procedure that I've performed for the first time just last year. The chief's judgement... is not clear and rational."

Derek is leaning against the railing and I am looking down the people below us, like tiny little ants. "Miranda, there's nothing I can do." He says gently, she sniffs with indignation at his answer and I say "you're the only one who can Derek. He is slipping, how long until he falls?" I raise the question we are all afraid to speak out loud, but it's one that has to be acknowledged if something is going to change.

"I performed intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemo this morning." Bailey tells us "and I kept looking up into the gallery to see if the chief was there. That was a big deal for me. Anyway, he wasn't there." I look up at the two surgeons next to me, Richard is letting this place slip, as though he has things he would rather be doing than looking after this hospital. And after knowing him for a while I know that this hospital is everything to him. "He's gone." I say, the other two are silent for a moment.

Derek nods his head and Bailey storms away, knowing she has said what she has said and hopes Derek can do something about it. When Bailey is gone Derek turns to me "she called post it." I raise my eyebrows, "Meredith called post it, I wanted to go to the board about this but I can't because Meredith has forced my hand." I suck in a breath and clutch the railing, looking back down at the people below and I spot Alex at the coffee cart "I know what it feels like to have someone force your hand." I say "especially someone you care about but at the end of the day, if Richard is operating and he knows he shouldn't. If something goes wrong that is a law suit waiting to happen."

Derek nods his head and he steps closer to me "if I report him she will hate me." He speaks quietly, I run a hand through my hair "right now Derek you have to be a surgeon, not a husband or a friend but a surgeon who is watching his boss make a terrible mistake. Putting lives at risk." My pager goes off and I look down at it "I've got to go but think on it Derek. Please." I squeeze his arm and he nods solemly.

I head to an on call room to sleep before I get into my next shift in a few hours. My phone rings and it's my mum "mama what's wrong?" I ask in quick Spanish, she never calls me this late "nothing I wanted to check how things are with you and Alex" I frown, sitting down on the bed, I kick off my shoes and cross my legs "mama seriously? I thought something bad had happened." I hear her chuckle through the phone, her laughter a rare thing "No mi amor, everything is ok." I bite my lip and look down at my lap nervously.

"Actually mama." I say cutting her off, she was speaking a million miles an hour about different ideas she has for Alex and I. It only makes me feel ill. "Alex and I aren't together anymore" I suck in a breath, waiting in tense silence for her to say something. When she does I relax a little "Andromeda did you really think I didn't know?" She asks. I smile and lay down on the bed, looking up at the mattress above me "I figured it out at thanksgiving." She explains "you can never lie to me. I was just waiting to see how long it would be until you told me." I bite my lip again, hard enough to make it bleed, I have to stop myself from cursing "you're not disappointed?" I ask softly and I hear her sigh through the phone "Andromeda you have always been different to your sisters." She says "more carefree and a little wayward but never in my life have I been disappointed in you. These things happen, it's part of life."

I've never heard my mum talk like this before, she was furious when she found out that I had divorced Mason. It wasn't the type of the thing that was done in our family according to her but she dropped the subject as soon as I told her about the abuse, the fear for my life. I know she still resented that part of my life even though she never said anything after it but this is the first time she has ever been kind to me like that.

She chuckles at something on her end of the phone "I've got to go my love, Ava is running rings around your father and god knows he needs the help." I smile, the image in my head enough to make me forget about Mason "alright I love you." A moments pause before she says it back and the line goes dead.

I tuck my phone into my pocket and roll over closing my eyes, before I have a chance to fully go to sleep the door opens and someone climbs into bed with me. Jackson. He wraps his arm around me, pulling my back flush against him "Bailey did the Whipple." He says gently "she let me open and do some of the procedure. She only let Grey watch." I nod my head sleepily and feel him kiss my head "I'm sorry if I woke you."

I turn around and look into his eyes "you didn't." I say running my hands through his hair. I kiss him softly on the lips and he tries to deepen it but I pull away "I really should get some sleep." He nods and pulls me into his chest.

At the start of my next shift I see the board members going in to Richard's office and I realise that Derek must have reported him. I hope that Meredith doesn't give him a hard time for it, it was obvious he didn't want to but it's the case of having to look after our patients and the hospital. It's also helping Richard too. Even if he doesn't realise it yet.

I make my way to grab a coffee, make sure I'm alert and awake when someone steps in my path "Izzie" I say with surprise "I didn't know you were back." She looks pissed off, she folds her arms angrily "it's your fault you know." She spits. I frown and cock my head to the side "I'm sorry." I say unsure of what she means "it's your fault Alex is giving up on our freaking marriage. He is so incredibly in love with you and you are stringing him along like a lost puppy. And now he doesn't want to be with me."

I rub the back of my neck "Izzie, I'm with Jackson I don't have feelings for Alex anymore. I haven't spoken to him properly since New Years! So don't try to blame me for him wanting to leave when you just abandoned him." She scoffs and steps forward, her voice lowering so only I can't hear "keep telling yourself that." She hisses and walks away.

May I be the first to say. What the fuck.