Chapter 81

The next day Alex and I decide to call in sick at work to spend time together as a family

The next day Alex and I decide to call in sick at work to spend time together as a family. He is currently cooking us breakfast while I have Willow bouncing on my lap. Our little family. I kiss our daughter on the head before placing her in her high chair. "I thought we would drive up at see your sister today." Alex says dishing out scrambled eggs into two plates.

I take one and a fork, stabbing into the food. After Ronnie and Ava, my other sister Bella, moved closer to us. Only a 30 minute drive away. "Sure." I say between mouthfuls of food "although I don't think she'll be happy to see you." Alex snorts and sits down next to me. Offering our baby some of his eggs "you're sisters love me."

The room goes suddenly silent at the plural 'sisters' because we both know that's not the case anymore. Alex turns to me, dark eyes boring into my own "we haven't spoken about it." He says slowly. My gaze returns to the food although I'm not hungry "what's there to talk about?" I ask pushing the eggs around with my fork, Alex shifts closer to me "you lost your sister And, that's a big thing." I swallow before turning back to him.

"My sister and niece died in a bus hyjacking. There is nothing else to say." I bite before standing up and dumping my food in the trash. Alex finishes his food while I get Willow dressed.

I admire her for a moment as she sits on the floor. She has Alex's dark hair and nose but the rest of her face is me. I wonder, if we had another child would they look like me or Alex? We haven't spoken about having another kid, I mean our marriage has barely survived the last few months. Better not think about that for a little while.

Once Willow is dressed in an adorable yellow sundress we head out to the car. Alex straps her into the car and we start our journey to see my sister. Most of the car ride is silent.

-

We arrive in the town Bella moved to. Poulsbo. A cute town but definitely not a place I could think of moving to myself. Willow starts whining for a bottle so we stop at a cafe just inside the town. We grab a booth near the back and Alex feeds her.

"Can I get you guys anything?" The kind looking waitress asks us and I order us a coffee each and a slice of cake to share. Regretting not eating all of my breakfast as my stomach grumbles at the mention of cake. Our order comes and we sip our coffee in silence while Willow plays with my keys. Alex taps his fingers on the table "I'm surprised that Owen let you back at the hospital." He muses.

I nod my head, eyes drifting to people walking outside "me too, I heard he had to do some reshuffling after the lawsuit." I reply casually, bringing my drink up to my lips, letting it warm my face for a minute. Alex clears his throat, pulling Willow onto his lap, who wriggles in protest for a moment before settling.

"Then they all bought the hospital." He says with a tone of bitterness. I frown, stabbing a piece of the cake with my fork "isn't that a good thing though?" I ask "a hospital run by doctors and not men in suits who know nothing about medicine?" He shrugs, kissing Willow's forehead "it would have been nice to know. It feels like they were just sneaking around so no one else could help."

I snort, although try to cover it with a sip of my coffee "Alex, would you honestly have put money towards buying the hospital? Where would the money have come from?" He goes slightly red when I ask this question and he looks away. He mumbles something under his breath I can't quite here but I just ignore it.

I pay the bill and we head out to our car. As I am getting Willow back into her car seat I hear someone say "Alex Karev?" Both me and him then around to see a girl, a woman, with bright red hair that falls down below her hips wearing shorts that are almost useless and a white tank top.

"Sam?" Alex asks recognising the woman and going over to her. They embrace and something like jealousy fills my chest. "How long has it been?" The woman says, placing her hands on her hips "too long." Alex replies, grin on his face. I frown but say nothing, staying by the car. Sam looks up at Alex with big green eyes "how have you been?" She asks and Alex shrugs, shoving his hands in his pockets "good, busy." A vague non-answer.

They talk for a little longer before my husband turns back to me and asks or more like states "me and Sam are gonna go have a coffee and catch up. Is that ok?" They both look at me expectantly. I feel like an asshole if I say no, so I just smile sweetly and answer "of course, I'm gonna head to my sister's. I'll see you later." I climb into the car, watching as the two of the them walk away, talking animatedly. I let my head rest of the wheel and I groan.

-

"So he just what? Left with this girl?" Bella asks, finally having settled Willow down for a nap. I nod, shifting so she can sit next to me on the sofa "she came over, all doe-eyed. She definitely does yoga and drinks green juices, she seems like the type." I moan throwing my hands in the air. My sister raises her eyebrows at me and I roll my eyes "stop looking at me like that."

She shrugs, leaning forward to grab her drink, pushing her dark hair away from her eyes "you thought he was cheating last time and he wasn't." She says. I throw my hands up in the air again "you didn't see her Bells! She's gorgeous. And you should have seen how Alex looked at her! What if she was his first love and he realises he loves her and not me?"

My younger sister sighs and places a hand on my shoulder "what is this really about?" She asks switching to Spanish, I sigh and look away for a second to gather my thoughts. When I reply it is also in Spanish "I feel guilty for leaving for so long." I admit "for not letting Alex see Willow for months. What if he decides he doesn't want to be with me anymore and he takes her away?"

Bella hugs me then, a strange thing for her as she doesn't usually hug people. "Andy, you have to yourself some leeway." She says "you had just found out your sister died, of course you wanted to be around family, willow is apart of that. If Alex was really mad at you, do you think he wouldn't have fought harder to have his daughter? He knew you would come back. Now you've got to trust him."

I bite my lip nervously but nod my head. There is a knock at the door and my sister goes to answer it. While she does that I check my phone, seeing several texts from Callie and Arizona, as well as a couple from Derek asking if I am ok. I text them back saying I am fine and that we took the day off to talk and that I would fill them in later.

"Sorry I'm late." A familiar voice says following Arabella from the front door, Alex appears in view with a bunch of flowers. He hands them to my sister but not before taking one out and handing it to me. I smile gently and take it. Alex takes a seat next to me and I curl into him "what are you ladies talking about?" He asks and we shake our heads "nothing." I reply.

He opens his mouth to say something when we hear our daughter crying over the baby monitor. I get up to get her and bring her into the living room.

She starts crawling around on the floor when suddenly a noise comes from her that sounds like 'mama' we all freeze. Alex and I stare at each other and then at our baby girl. "Did she just....?" Bella asks and I nod, smiling Alex scoops her up into his arms and kisses her on the forehead. He then turns to me, the biggest grin on his face that matches his daughter almost identically "she said her first word."