Chapter 63

Of course when I get home late that night Alex still isn't in

Of course when I get home late that night Alex still isn't in. He must have picked up a night shift. I place my bag on the sofa before collapsing onto it myself. As a reflex I place my hand on my stomach, I know I imagine the kick I feel as it's too early for that. My phone rings, snapping the silence in half. I grab it and answer the call "auntie Andy!" I hear Ava shout enthusiastically when I pick up. I smile even though she can't hear me "hey lady bug." I say sitting up straighter "mum said I could phone you and tell you about my school trip."

And she does. For half an hour. "Ava give me the phone, it's time to go to bed." I hear my sister say to her daughter on the other end of the phone. I hear shuffling around and then my sister says "I'm sorry, she wouldn't leave me alone until I called you." I chuckle and throw my legs on the coffee table. "It's fine Ronny, she's adorable." I hear keys rustle in the door and Alex comes through the doorframe.

I swallow hard "I've got to go." I tell my sister who is silent on the other end "I'll talk to you later." And I end the call. The room is suddenly too quiet. Alex clears his throat before hanging his jacket up and taking off his shoes. He then comes over, still silent and sits down.

"We need to talk." We both say at the same time, the two of us go slightly red and smile weakly. "You first." I say waving my hand and Alex clasps his together so tightly his knuckles are white. I bring my legs up to my chest in comfort and look at his expectantly. Alex swallows and then starts to speak "I am sorry." He pauses again "I didn't mean what I said to come across as you can't handle having a child, I just know what you've been through. I don't want you to have to suffer through anything else."

I nod and reach other, taking one of his hands in my own. Alex looks at me with big round eyes. "You we're trying to protect me." I say "I love you for that but you have to give me a little more credit. I'm sorry for the way I reacted but I think this is something we still need to talk about."

Alex sucks in a breath and squeezes my hand "do you want to keep the baby?" He asks and I bite the inside of my cheek nervously. This is such a make or beak conversation for us and I am worried of what will happen afterwards. Slowly I nod my head "I do." My voice quite "I want this baby." Alex visibly relaxes and pulls me into him. "Me too, Andy. I want our baby. I want to be dad." I smile and burrow myself into his chest. And we stay like that for the rest of the night.

Alex pours us both coffee's into travel mugs. "That smells amazing." I say, a smile widening across my face as I come up behind him and wrap my arms around his torso. The picture of domestic bliss. He turns around and hands me my mug "thought you could use something to wake you up." He says kissing my forehead. I have been struggling to get up recently so this coffee is going to do wonders. I hum in agreement and follow him out of the door.

Mark, Derek and I all stand in a busy elevator on our way to work. Derek carrying Zola and Mark carrying Sofia, my hand gently rests on my stomach and the baby growing there. "It walked across the road, right in front of us." Derek says telling us about how he saw a lion walking around the city this morning, Mark as usual isn't paying attention and says "I feel like Julia and I are at a crossroads. It's been five months." I lean forward, looking across Derek to the plastic surgeon "maybe it's time to take the next step and ask her to move in." He continues, ignoring the stares from the two of us.