Chapter 45

"ok, let's get started

"ok, let's get started." Richard says as all of the attending pile into the conference room. Mark walks around him holding a cup of coffee "yah, let's do it." He adds "got a lot of standing around to do today." Mark slides into the chair next to me and passes me the drink which I take thankfully. "He's right, people." Richard continues "starting today fifth-year residents rotate in as lead surgeons." Callie tips her head back from where she is sitting opposite me. "We've alerted the morgue." She muses and I try to hide my smirk but we all end up laughing lightly.

The chief tries to redirect us back to the real topic "Attendings, you will observe and stay silent. Offer help only when you absolutely have to." Bailey nods as she places her head in her hand tiredly "yeah, before you let them swim, let em sink a little." We all laugh again. None of us are taking this seriously since we don't have to do anything today. "The next order of business." Richard says moving us on "effective 9:00 am this morning, I have resigned as Chief of Surgery at Seattle Grace-Mercy West Hospital. I will stay on the surgical staff. I will turn this meeting over to the new Chief of Surgery, Dr Owen Hunt."

This catches us all of guard and whispers start circulating the room as Owen stands up to address us. "Thanks Dr Webber. I know this comes as a surprise to all of you, too." He starts "and I appreciate, over the next couple of days, your help and patience. So, now I have your call schedules, but I can have them..." I cut him off by sitting forward and asking gently, kindly "wait. What happened?"

Owen looks at me blankly so Sloan adds "why did it happen?" Derek turns to Webber who is sitting beside him "is this the board?" He asks quietly "are they forcing you to step down?" We are all met with silence however and Teddy smiles "Hunt." She say s"you're the new Chief of Surgery." As though no one else was in the room when it was announced. Bailey just looks like she is going to throw up.

-

"Karev." Arizona greets as we round the corner of the peds floor, he is mid argument with April both of them looking fed up with the other. "I just saw that you turned down my three year-old esophageal atresia surgery for Webber's......" Arizona starts but then trails off and starts snoring. Alex looks over at me and I shrug innocently. She jumps up suddenly away "I'm sorry." She says "I was trying to say Webber's bowel resection, but then I fell asleep."

I smile and look down at my feet for a moment. "I just thought I could use more practice with bowel resections." Alex answers in his defence and Arizona leans against the nurses desk angrily. "No." She snaps "you're trying to pad your boards with good outcomes, so you went for the easy A. You keep that up, and you're gonna lowball yourself out of the fellowship."

I kiss Alex softly as my friend wheels away on her wheely shoes. He tries to deepen the kiss but I pull away "dinner reservation at 8, don't be late." I give him a quick peck on the lips before following my friend.

"How's Sophia?" I ask the other peds surgeon as we get into the elevator. Arizona presses the button and says "ugh just amazing. She is a proper angel. You know, I thought this whole three parent thing was going to be difficult but it really isn't. We get a little bit more time to ourselves." I nod my head as though I understand although I don't have kids or any responsibilities outside of myself. Not even a pet.