Chapter 7

"Hospitals across the country have reported substantial savings

"Hospitals across the country have reported substantial savings.." Richard is address all of the attending's and high placed surgeons in front of the surgical board "how bad is it today?" Derek as me as he stops next to me, Cristina on his other side "the chief's implementing a computer model for scheduling our surgeries from now on." I tell my friend cooly "something about efficiency and progress."

Bailey, who is standing on the other side of me snorts and we turn back to Richard "to make sure this was the right decision, I have enlisted one of our own to do a trial run for the last month. Doctor Sloan?" Mark is leaning against the wall next to the chief looking rather important. Mark looks at us all, clutching a clipboard "u know what you're all thinking 'it's a machine. It doesn't know me, doesn't know what I like.' But after using this new system for the past month, I gotta say, people, I'm a convert. This computer knows me better then I know me."

Derek steps through the crowd, right to the front and when Mark is done talking he says "Chief, this thing's rearranged my schedule for the week." He then turns to us and raises his hands "I mean, haven't we had enough change here already?" Cristina and I share a look of anxiety.

"Change is good, everyone." The chief says and Derek turns back to him "embrace it." Everyone moves on then and I head to a scrub room to prep for my surgery. Callie comes in, she is apart of it too "hey, how's it going?" She asks and I shrug rubbing my hands full of soap before sticking it under the water "you know, same old" I answer and she chuckles "the chief is implementing a new system for surgery" I tell her and she looks up, shocked. Callie presses the button that starts the water "really?" She asks "I thought the old system ran pretty well." I nod and finish scrubbing in "I know but who are we to question the Chief's orders."

I head into X-Ray where Derek is standing looking a film "that it was big tumour" I say and he looks at me briefly before turning back to it "I know that's why I paged you." He says and I stand next to him, admiring the beauty that is that tumour "what are you doing to do?" I ask folding my arms and he shrugs "my brain is telling me it's inoperable" he admits "but my heart....." he trails off and I finish his sentence for him "your heart is telling you to try it."

Derek runs a frustrated hand through his hair, he has circles under his eyes and he looks beaten "what did I do Andy?" He asks and I turn to face him with my whole body "are you asking me to be your friend right now or your co-worker?" I ask and he looks down at me. Derek towers over me but we spend so much time together I hardly notice our height different anymore "both" he answers and I let out a shallow breath. Leaning against the wall I say "as your friend I would say no, don't do it. Remember the pregnant lady? She almost broke you, if you go into this all the way and it fails. I don't think anyone could pull you back from that." Derek look down at his hands and I continue "but as your co-worker I would suggest consulting other people, getting other view points on it and if it's still something you want to do then do it."

Derek let's out a breathy chuckle "you are scarily level headed" he says and I shrug, a smile forming on my face, I squeeze his hands in mine "and you wouldn't survive a minute without me."