Chapter 62

I haven't spoken to Alex since our argument, I have been so angry at him for thinking I don't have the strength to have a child if they start having problems

I haven't spoken to Alex since our argument, I have been so angry at him for thinking I don't have the strength to have a child if they start having problems. I have been staying with Mark and I help him look after Sophia when it is his turn to have. "Are you coming home tonight or staying at the hospital?" Mark asks as he hands me a travel mug of coffee. I bite the inside of my cheek nervously "I think I'm gonna pull a double shift tonight, why?" Mark shrugs and holds open the front door "I might have Julia round, have a nice little date." I smile and pat his arm.

"I think it's cute." I muse "how slow you are being with Julia." Mark goes slightly red in the face as make for his car "I just really don't want to mess things up with her, you know? She's really great, and I feel like we are on the same page about everything." I nod my head slowly and climb into the car. "This is good for you Mark." I comfort him and he looks at me, blue eyes staring into my soul "you like her?" I nod my head and buckle myself in "of course I do, what's not to like?"

I start my rounds, more cheerful then I have been for a while. I head into my first patient of the day. "Good morning Josie!" I say cheerfully to the little 10 year old girl lying in the hospital bed, she waves before going into a fit of coughing. I grab her chart from the end of her bed "how's she doing?" Her mother, Lori asks as I look through the updates from last night. "It looks like she is doing better." I tell her honestly "her stats have improved and if she keeps this up I will be able to discharge her tomorrow." Lori beams brightly and places a hand on her daughter's leg "that's brilliant! Isn't it Josie?" The little girl nods, clutching her oxygen mask to her face. I wink playfully and leave them to it.

Once out of the room my pager starts buzzing, It's Alex who is on Robbins' service today so I ignore it. Like I have been doing since the argument. "Hey Andy!" I hear someone call my name, I turn around and see a nurse racing towards me. A big smile broadens on my face "Lukas." I say to the blonde Swedish man who comes towards me with a matching grin. "I've been looking for you." He says leaning against the wall, I cross my arms and look up at him, towering over me at 6'4 "well you found me." I jest playfully.

He huffs a gentle laugh before wiping his mouth gently "I was wondering if-" But before he can finish someone cuts through him "Andy! I've been trying to page you." God damn it Alex. I turn around and see him stalking towards us, eyes of fury when he notices Lukas. "What are you doing here?" He asks practically glaring at the other man, I roll my eyes "we were just talking about a patient, what do you want."

Lukas places a comforting hand on my arm and squeezes it "we'll finish this conversation later." He says and I nod. As he walks away I snap back to my fiancé "what do you want?" I repeat my question. Alex scratches the back of his neck "Morgan's baby, Tommy. He has a brain bleed and we need someone to fix it." I sigh, because of course it's not what I actually want to talk about, even though I won't admit it. "Then page someone in neuro, I'm busy." I brush past him, angry that he has ruined my day already.

-

"Where's your hot tourist?" Mark Sloan asks Jackson as we find him standing behind a nurses station. Jackson follows after us explains "yeah, she's not here for a tour. I'm being set up. My mum's trying to expand the Avery dynasty." I snort and place my hands in my lab coat pocket "when you say it like that, it makes her sound like she is treating you like cattle." Jackson shoots me a look "she practically is." He muses.

He turns his attention back to his mentor "you were supposed to tell her we were busy." Mark shrugs innocently "you and Dr Hotness should be getting busy." He replies "if you get my point." I jab Mark in the ribs and Jackson looks at him with betrayal. "Actually, she should be getting your point." He adds and Jacksons now looks absolutely disgusted "what are you 12?" He asks and I shake my head "12 is too mature, definitely at least 7."

Jackson rolls his eyes "why are you so obsessed with getting me laid?" Mark presses the elevator button before turning to look at us "cause it works for me. It's called passing on the wisdom." I raise my eyebrows "also pimping." I add "it's creepy." He ignores me however and presses "she's here for one night." The elevator doors open and Jackson genuinely thinks about it for a second before shaking his head "no. I am not going to give my mother the satisfaction."

Mark and I head into the elevator before the doors close and he smirks at his mentee "it's not your mother you should trying to satisfy." I roll my eyes and just as the doors start to close Jackson calls out "child!" I roll my eyes and hit Mark in the chest. "Ow!" He says rubbing the spot I hit "that was mean." I cross my arms again. "So is trying to push someone to have sex." I spit. Mark stares at me for a moment "did you see him today?" He asks and I nod my head slowly "yep."

He sighs and places an arm around my shoulder "it will get better Rea I promise."

-

That night I pace an on call room, hand raised to my chin and my heart hammering in my chest. I want to go home, to my home, with Alex and talk things out. But I'm scared that if I do we might end things and I don't think can deal with that right now. I keep pacing, and hating myself and hating him and hating our argument. If we weren't both such hot heads none of these things would be an issue but I just cant get passed what he said to me and I think he feels the same.

I give up with the pacing and lay down on the bed, staring up at the bunk on top. I don't move and soon I close my eyes. That's when I hear my father's voice in my head. What are you doing my little star? This isn't you, this isn't the woman I raise you to be. Go and fix things with him, before it's too late. I open my eyes and realise he is right. Except I have a surgery in 20 minutes and we won't have this figured out in that time. Alex will have to wait.