Chapter 19

A/N: TW!!!! Tw for ED's in this chapter x

I have a flight booked a flight to my parents for tonight and I'll be staying for a couple of days

I have a flight booked a flight to my parents for tonight and I'll be staying for a couple of days. Jackson asks if he can come with but I shake my head "no I'm only there for my mum's birthday. I'll be back in a couple of days." He pouts cutely and I kiss him on the lips "plus you need to bag good surgeries, you can't do that if you're with me."

He kisses me again and I smile "this will be the longest we've been without each other." He muses and I frown, wrapping my arms around his shoulders as his snake around my waist. "Really?" I ask and he nods "I guess it's best if we get some distance. Don't want you to develop separation anxiety." I joke. Jackson starts tickling me and I squeal "Jackson stop!" I bat his hands away and thankfully he does as my pager goes off "emergency, I've got to go." I kiss him again and disappear through the doors to the residence lounge.

"Arizona what have we got?" I ask rushing into the room "Casey Meadows, 15, just dropped while at cheer practice. She has a laceration to the top of her head and her abdomen is ridged. I haven't checked for other injuries yet." She tells me as I enter the trauma room. I prep myself and greet "hey Casey, can you tell me what happened?" The small brunette opens her mouth to speak but is cut off by a woman, I've just noticed standing in the room "she was practicing cheer, sloppy as always but then she just fell. Honestly I don't think it's anything to worry about. She's always pulling stunts like this."

I look at the woman, noticing similarities between her and the girl "mum?" I ask and she nods "we'll be the judge of whether it's anything to worry about." The mum gives me a stony look and I start checking her daughter out. I turn to the resident in the room, Percy "get me a blood panel, check for everything." He nods and starts to draw her blood. Arizona leaves the room now that I've got this and I get the ultrasound out to check her abdomen.

I bite my lip as I look at the screen "I think I see something but I can't be sure unless we get a clearer picture. I'm going to take you up to CT Casey is that alright?" She nods and just as I start to wheel her out of the trauma room the mum leaps up "CT?" She asks "that's expensive, I don't think that's really necessary." I sigh and pause for a moment, looking at the grown woman who is clearly not understanding the situation.

"Ma'am, if you want us to find out what's wrong with your daughter then these tests are necessary." I say, I don't wait for her answer but instead push her daughter up to CT. Percy catches me on the way and I order him to page me when her results are in.

I get paged to CT where Percy is sitting and looking at the screen in front of him "what is it?" I ask sitting in a chair next to him. I lean on the desk, head in my hand "nothing." He answers and I narrow my eyes. I sit back and ask "have we got the blood work back yet?" He nods and hands it to me, I notice what's wrong straight away. I hand back the results and sit forward "what does that look like to you?" I ask, I watch as Percy studies the results before looking up at me "she's anaemic." I nod.

I sit back again and place a hand on my mouth, tracing the line of my lips "but the fainting isn't a normal symptom and with her weight being what it is-" I trail off but the resident catches on and after a pause finishes "an eating disorder." I nod standing, pushing the chair out from beneath me "anorexia most probably from the symptoms, the mum is probably unaware which means we need to tread lightly."  Doctor Percy follows me out and nods his head quickly "you are going to come with me while I inform her mum, so you know what you are doing when you approach this sort of situation but you are not to say anything unless I give you permission. Ok?"

Percy gives me a serious look "I promise." And he follows me out to talk to Casey's mum. She is sitting in the waiting room, talking avidly on the phone to someone. She spots us and quickly ends the call "is it all done? Can we go now?" She asks like an impatient child. I put my hands on my white coat pockets and sit down next to her "nothing came up on the scan." I tell her and she scoffs, flipping her hair over her shoulder "but I did get Casey's blood test results back and it seems as though she anaemic."

The mum looks shocked, shaking her head "how can my daughter be anaemic? I know everything she eats, she eats perfectly. I mean she has to if she is going to fit into that cheerleading uniform." I clench my fists in my pockets but continue speaking calmly "you monitoring everything she eats might be the issue." I speak gently "it seems to me that Casey may be suffering from an eating disorder and I would like to keep her in a few nights just to monitor."

Mum looks at me in disbelief and stands up, furious she says "no! She doesn't have a freaking eating disorder, I would know if she did. We tell each other everything. I'm not letting you keep her in here for unnecessary reasons." I nod solemnly and stand up, now taking my hands out of my pockets, they are sweaty. "So you will sign a consent form saying you are leaving against doctor's advice?" I ask and she nods, glaring at me and folding her arms.

I tell Charle's to go and get the paper work and when he reappears, she signs the paperwork and walks her daughter out. I sigh heavily and let my hand rest on my forehead "that wasn't how I wanted that to go." I say. Percy follows me back to the PEDS floor "that's it? You can't force her to stay? Her daughter could die if she doesn't get the right help." He says and I shrug, pressing the button for the elevator "there isn't anything we can do once the parent says they don't want them here. It's out of our hands now Percy." He huffs and steps into the elevator after me "that sucks." I laugh darkly.

"Yeah it does."

"Ugh that babies delicious." Callie says as her, Mark and I all stand watching his grandson through a window, I look over at her on the other side of Mark "I didn't know you wanted kids." I muse and she nods "yeah I want loads. Arizona doesn't, we haven't really been getting on because of it." I gasp and my eyes go wide "that's why she's been acting so weird recently." Mark quickly moves the subject on before this start going south "yeah. I was thinking I could take paternity leave. At least for a couple of weeks. I'd help Sloan get the hang of things."

Callie pulls a face "I don't know if a couple of weeks is enough." She admits. Mark leans on the railing below the window "she's a good kid. She's got good instincts." I clear my throat and push my hair from my face "well, her instincts lead her to put the baby up for adoption." I cut in "she's informed, she's a baby herself. I don't know."

I glance at my watch and say "I've got to go, Jackson is driving me to the airport." They nod and I hug each of them in turn "have a safe flight." Callie says and I squeeze her tightly "see you in a couple of days."

I head down to the entrance where Jackson is waiting "ready?" He asks and I nod following him out to the car. He unlocks it and I slide into the passenger side. Callie and Arizonan's fight about a family is sitting heavily on me. We drive in silence for a while.

Only when we are half way there do I finally have the courage to turn my head and ask "do you want a family?" Jackson seems a little caught off guard and stutters before answering "eventually yeah. Why do you ask?" I shrug, turning my head back to the front. Watching cars speed past us on the highway. "Mark has a kid, who also has a kid. I don't know, there is lot of kid talk lately and it got me thinking."

We lapse into awkward silence for a moment "I want three kids." He speaks up, I look over at him again "I'm an only child, it sucked being the only child of two surgeons. At least with three they can entertain each other." I laugh then, a full belly laugh, I don't know why it's so funny but then I say "I am one of three, we terrorised each other." Jackson laughs and I smile.

Once at the airport I kiss him deeply and he moans "why do you have to leave." I smile as I pull away "separation anxiety." I tease and he slaps my ass. I pout as I walk away "rude!" He chuckles and I wave him goodbye before I get on my flight.