Chapter 52

Derek and I are sitting together, nervous tension fills the space between us

Derek and I are sitting together, nervous tension fills the space between us. Both of our respective partners are out in the middle of no where in a storm. We don't know what happened when the line went dead or how badly they are injured. We don't know anything and it is driving us crazy.

When they do arrive I take the baby from Alex who starts listing ff her information. "You need to go checked out." I say as we rush upstairs to the NICU. "I'm fine." Alex insists holding open the elevator door for me. I look over at him for the first time and see he has a cut on his arm and bruises dotting his whole face "at the best you are concussed. Worst you could have brain damage from that accident, go and get checked out." I order firmer this time. Alex still shakes his head "I'm gonna wait until the baby is checked out." And I realise then that it would be pointless to argue.

The elevator ride is slower then I wish it was but when we finally reach the NICU Alex says "she went about two hours with no antibiotics and an unknown amount of fluids 'cause we didnt have a pump." I finish checking her heartbeat "all right. Careful with that suction." I say. Alex's hands are shaking "we haven't done suction in a while." He tells me "her pneumonia may be getting worse. She probably needs another x-ray."

The baby starts crying and I nod "well, that's great." I place a hand over Alex's "you did extraordinary work tonight, Karev." I praise highly "but I've got it from here." Alex frowns and looks over at me "no." He says confused "what? No."

I roll my eyes "yes, you were in a major accident and the baby has been checked out. Now go, take a breath and sit this one out." Alex looks at me from across the baby and insists "I'm sitting anything out."

This time I snap "yes, you are." He stays silent but doesn't move so I look back over at him "goodbye." I push and he leaves.

-

I go back to check on the baby only to find Alex already there ordering "hand me the ultrasound and get me a kit. We're doing a bedside gastrostomy." I frown and as I get closer I ask "what do you think your doing?" Alex, doesn't even pause his work as he replies "we need to decompress her stomach so she doesn't get more reflux in her trachea."

I shake my head violently and inform him "Karev, you're not even on this case." This makes Alex snap angrily at me "I have been with this baby since yesterday. Ok? She almost died. I almost died. I didnt go through hell with this kid to just back off."

We stare at each other for a few moments as he realised how horrible he was just then before he turns back to the baby. "Then slow down." I say with a sigh "ok? We don't need to rush through this." My eyes fall onto what Alex's hands and what they are doing. "Yeah, I know." He snaps before changing his tone "suction please."

I tilt my head gently but stay quiet, watching ,my fiancée work in peace.

-

"We have to go back in." Alex says as few hours after he finished doing what he needed to, to the baby. "What?" I ask as he comes back over. He is frantic, trying to get the pink coveralls on with a crazy speed "on the baby. I forgot to place the tension-free anastomosis." When I don't reply he says "do you hear me? I forgot to place it."

I give him a concerned look and stay between him and the baby "hey, look at me." I say "you did the anastomosis. I watched you do it. You used the double-layer technique. You remember?" Alex stops panicking so hard and stares at me blankly. I grab him by the shoulders and guide him towards a chair "ok, you need to sit down." I say.

He does as I say and I start checking his eyes "you are overtired." I muse "and probably experiencing some residual shock. And you are gonna take a break this time, for real." I time his pulse. He starts muttering but I cut through it "don't argue with me Karev." He goes silent "deep breath." and he does what he is told.

-

I am walking down the hall after getting Alex checked out when I come across Lexie who looks upset. "Hey, little grey." I say grabbing her wrist, stopping her from going past me "what's wrong?" She groans a little and scuffs her shoe on the floor.

"Mark's girlfriend, Dr Canner." She explains and I frown, crossing my arms over my chest "did something happen?" I press. Lexie nods her head, loose strands of dark hair falling into her face "yeah, I actually really like her!" She says throwing her hands up, exasperated. I raise my eyebrows "seriously?" I ask and she nods her head again.

We start walking in the same direction "yeah, I had to be in surgery today with her, helping her take the glass from that kids eye." She explains further "she is super talented and super nice. God, why do I have to like her so much." I chuckle and push my way through a set of double doors. "It means you are growing up." I say "and I am proud of you Lexipedia."