Chapter 24

"Almost all of the surgeons in your program have been cleared to operate

"Almost all of the surgeons in your program have been cleared to operate." we are told while sitting in the meeting room. The heads of all departments are here to talk about the changes that the shooting made. Of course it's a total bore. "The remaining cases will be referred to Dr Wyatt. She'll clear those people when she feels they're ready." Derek is sitting with an arm resting on the table and his head leaning on his hand "what about Cristina Yang?" He asks.

My phone buzzes and I look down at it.

Patient in 2738 what do you want me to do?

It's Alex, I quickly type a reply under the table.

Ask Arizona, I'm in a meeting.

I shove my phone back in my pocket and look up. Webber is answering Derek's question "Dr Perkins felt that we should assign Dr Yang to something low stress for a few months. Research, admin duties." Derek raises his eyebrows, now leaning back in his chair he challenges "administration?" He asks "that's the best you can do? Put her on my service." Richard shakes his head "she isn't on anyone service, Derek. She'll be in the hospital. She won't go near a surgery."

I sit forward and clasp my hands together "if you do that, she'll leave." I explain, slightly angry at Owen for not fighting like this for her "she will not come back to this program." Derek cuts in with a thankful look "put her on my service." Owen sighs, throwing his hands up in the air "I already tried." I shoot him a look that tells him he hasn't tried hard enough.

"Hunt's right." Callie puts in "she's not ready." Then Bailey cuts in "she wasn't ready before, maybe she is now." I nod my head, throwing up my hands in agreement "I think we should give it a shot." However the therapist decides to defended his actions by explaining "she crawled under a table in the OR two weeks ago." Everyone starts talking again and my phone buzzes. I ignore it's burning pressure in my pocket.

Derek, calm and collected shouts over the noise "if she goes, I go." This quietens everyone and I knock my hand on the wooden table "me too." Hunt gives me a look of betrayal and I just smile at him. "That's insane." Webber says into the silence and then the talking starts up again. The fighting continues until Derek gets up and walks out, I follow quickly behind eager to leave the meeting that went from 0 to 100 quickly.

"Dr Yang." He says "you're with me." I squeeze Derek's arm saying quietly "I'll see you later." He nods and I disappear down the hall.

In the middle of a surgery my pager buzzes, "can someone check that please?" I call not letting my eyes leave the patient "it's Dr Karev." The nurse says "it's an SOS." I sigh dramatically."Tell Dr Karev I am in the middle of surgery and that it will have to wait." I reply, slightly annoyed that he is paging me when he knows I'm in surgery and thaf Arizona is probably free. My pager goes off again and the nurse looks at it. "It says Code Sunshine." She says unsure whether she said it right. I suck in my breath, freezing completely. When we were together we came up with codes for different things.