Chapter 4

It's early morning and all of the attending's are sitting around a table in the meeting room, Webber at the front

It's early morning and all of the attending's are sitting around a table in the meeting room, Webber at the front. I sit next to Mark who gives me an uneasy smile before Richard starts talking "I know it hasn't exactly been easy around here the past few weeks." He admits "and I know you want answers. But I'm afraid I don't have them. Not just yet."

There is food displayed on the table, I lean forward and grab an apple just as Derek whispers to us "he brought us here to make himself feel good." Richard continues talking and Mark replies "at least he sprung for good Danish." I giggle quietly before taking a bite of my apple and asking "know how many nurses got fired for that?"

Richard, having not heard us presses on and I decide to tune back into the conversation "the Mercy West staff will arrive in three days. When they do, more cutbacks and more layoffs, and I need each and everyone of you to step up and be leaders. And when I can answer your questions, I will." When he finishes talking people burst out with questions and frustration lines the chief's face. As the voices die down Mark raises his hand like a school child and I try not to laugh at Derek who grabs a plate and starts helping himself to the food, completely oblivious to everything going on right now. 

"Want one?" Derek asks when he spots me eyeing his cinnamon roll and I nod my head licking my lips. My apple forgotten. I take a pastry and start munching on it greedily, Derek pulls a face at me and I almost choke on my food. Almost. "You were right" the Nuro surgeon says to Mark "excellent danish" I nod my head in agreement.

I am back on the peds floor and Arizona hands me a file "you have a new patient in room 2842" I nod and take the chart from her. I flip it hood and sigh heavily. Lucy, one of my first patients here, it's seems like her leukaemia is back and worse then ever. I head into her room with a smile on my face "wow Lucy! You have gotten so big!" I say and her parents sit up rubbing their eyes. Poor people must have been up for too long.

"Hey Doctor Tearney long time no see" she manages to get out before she starts coughing "coughing up a storm I see" I say lightheartedly as I start to examine her. I check her temperature before moving on to her heart "what's brought you in today?" I ask as I listen to her heart beat "she has just been coughing so much and the other day she coughed up blood." Her mum says. I frown and stand up straight "alright, and how long has this been going on?" The mother looks at her husband before he answers "about two weeks" I nod my head and scratch my arm "alright, Lucy, I'm going to administer some test to see what's going on. Best case it's a prolong side affect of your cancer treatment." I don't say what the worst case could be but she asks anyway.

I smile down at her and squeeze her hand "we will cross that bridge when we come to it" I say in reply before heading out to check on my other patients.

I am sitting with Derek, both of us doing paperwork when Meredith comes over and simply announces "my dad is dead." Both Derek and I look up in surprise and she starts to explain "at first I thought he was drunk, then he started puking blood. Puking blood and disorientation usually means..." Derek clicks his pen shut and finishes "end-stage liver failure." I give Meredith a sympathetic look as she presses on "he's probably dead by now. Or he needs a transplant. I hope he's not a candidate because that means he'd be in the hospital for months."