Chapter 27

Arizona and Callie are going to Africa for the grant that Arizona won

Arizona and Callie are going to Africa for the grant that Arizona won. Alex grew a whole new trachea for a 9 year old girl and stayed with her the whole month while it grows. And I have done absolutely nothing. I went to see Ava and Ronnie once they were home and safe. I stayed there a few weeks and now I'm back.

I am currently sitting in Callie and Arizona's apartment with Mark while we watch the two of them sort through things to pack and get rid of. "What about this Mark?" Arizona asks turning away from the cupboard "you know you've always wanted one of..... these." He continues sipping his drink and I text rapidly on my phone "na." He says after deliberating for a few minutes "I'm good." I snort and tuck my phone in my back pocket.

"Honestly though." I start, leaning forward and placing my elbows on the marble counter "how can two people have this much stuff?" The blonde shrugs, her girlfriend answers "there were four of us living in this apartment. Cristina and Owen didn't take everything. They didn't want it back so we are selling it." I shrug and take the mug that Arizona hands me. "I will take that waffle iron." Mark says and Arizona looks around "what?" Callie asks "I've never even seen you eat a waffle."

Mark answers her quite flippantly "I would if I can a waffle iron." I snort and drink my coffee. Arizona laughs awkwardly and takes the equipment off of the shelf "Callie, we're not gonna take a waffle iron to Malawi." She tells her girlfriend "and it's not going to be doing anybody any good sitting in a storage container for three years." Callie doesn't look pleased but she doesn't say anything as Arizona hands Mark the waffle iron.

Arizona turns to me "and you have won a French press." I reach my hand out to grab it and Callie bats me away "hey! Stop giving my things away." She moves into the bedroom and slams the door making us all wince "maybe I should probably pass on the French press." I say handing it back and she nods.

"Doctor Bailey can I talk to you for a moment." Mark asks coming out of a patient room, Bailey and I are going in the same direction and so are walking together. "Only if what you have to talk about is more important than my being on time for an autopsy." She says clutching her file in her hand. Mark wipes his hand over his face and replies "it's arguable. We're throwing Torres and Robbins a Bon voyage party in the doctors lounge this evening."

Bailey makes a sound "that sounds lovely." She says "I have a full day but I'll try and stop by." Mark gives me a look that tells me he might possibly die from what he is about to say "well, the thing is, Altman volunteered to pick up the cupcakes, but she had to pick up lungs instead. And I just figured." He moves in front of us so we all stop moving "since you're close to both these ladies...." He trails off and Bailey starts to speak "you're asking me to take time out of my very busy day to go to the bakery? Or would you prefer I ran home and baked some myself?"

I clear my throat and cover my mouth to hide my smile "I'll go get them." I cut in before things can get heated "I don't have a surgery for another two hours, I'll make it back in plenty of time." Mark puts his hands on both my arms and looks me dead in the eyes "Andy, you are a goddess and I love you." I chuckle and step out of his hold "I love you too Mark."

I have gotten the cupcakes and they are in the doctors lounge waiting. Mark and I are standing in the door way as Callie writes up some last minute paper work "big plans." She says and snorts "big plans. You know what? I don't care. I've got big plans, myself. Great big African plans." She doesn't sound so convinced by the last part "yeah you do." mark says enthusiastically like a good supportive friend.

"Yeah I don't need to grow cartilage in a lab, I'll be building bones from dirt." Callie continues "I'll be figuring out how to create unbreakable joints out of blood diamonds. I'll be making artificial limbs out of elephant ivory." I frown and fold my arms behind my back "I'm pretty sure a couple of those would be frowned upon by the world community." I muse and Mark nods in agreement.

Callie rolls her eyes dramatically "whatever. Science isn't about making friends." And we all smile. I bounce from one foot to the other "but seriously. Torres how are you feeling about it?" She shrugs, still writing on several pieces of paper "I'm ok with it. I am. She applied for that grant before she even moved here. I mean how was she supposed to know this was going to happen."

This meaning their relationship. "I meant you, what you are feeling about the move." I say gently and she shrugs sitting back "ok. I mean I'm not thrilled but I'd much rather go there with her then stay here without her." My heart aches for her and I wonder if that is what real love is like. Making real sacrifices for the person you love.

Richard, Mark, Lexie and I are all in the doctors lounge waiting to Callie and Arizona to come in. When they do we all shout awkwardly "bon voyage!" And Arizona laughs "oh, my god, it's a going-away party! You guys!" Richard hands me a cupcake and I whisper a thank you. "This is a party?" Callie asks unenthusiastically, Lexie shrugs innocently and says "it's a busy day."

Callie wrinkles her nose for a second before throwing her hands up in the air "no, yeah. I mean I'm.... Just been at this hospital since residency. But if people are too busy to see me off, they're too busy." The energy in the room has gone down. Arizona sighs and shakes her head "Callie." She says but her girlfriend comes over to us "it's hard to blame them Torres." Richard says "we're down a couple of attending's. Things are going to be busier all around for a while."

I bite into my cupcake and Callie replies "well, I'm glad you could find the time chief. With all your chief problems and big plans. Which were what exactly?" Richard smirks mischievously and answers "now, why would I just give away my good ideas?" I snort and take another bite of my cupcake. Richard leaves and Arizona comes over "he's just crabby." She assured her girlfriend "he's messing with your head."

Callie sighs and looks down sadly at the cupcake in her hand "yeah, we'll, I'll never know will I?" She says before taking a passive aggressive bite out of her cupcake. Arizona clears her throat and turns to us "thank you, so much. I actually have to finish up some packing so I'm gonna go." And she leaves too.

"I don't want to go home yet." Torres says, Mark seems to have run out of things to say so he asks "you want to see us give a lady a really big ass?" I almost choke on my cake and Callie pulls a face "oh my god. Yes." I bid them goodbye and go on my own.

I head for the elevator and Alex comes towards me absolutely soaking wet "what happened to you?" I ask smirking at the sight of him. He runs a hand through his hair "Trauma board." He says and he goes to hug me but I step back holding up my hands "woah there, you are not going anywhere near me like that." He smirks and his eyes light up like he has had an idea "oh yeah?" He asks and he rushes me.

He picks me up, water seeping in through my scrubs. I squeal and try to get out of his iron clad grip and failing "Alex! Let go of me." He laughs and holds onto my tighter "no." He says "never." We both laugh and he finally puts me down "there. Happy?" He asks and I nod, pulling his scrubs so his face is close my mine "very." I say and our lips connect. In a pure, in diluted moment of happiness.

A/N: please tell me you guys find this as cute as I do. Anyways I am so happy I get to the write them together again it's so much fun and I love Andy and Alex so much.