Chapter 66

"Julia went all FSH on me this morning," Mark tells Derek and I as we walk through a reception area

"Julia went all FSH on me this morning," Mark tells Derek and I as we walk through a reception area. Derek's eyebrows crease slightly "is that a sexual term?" He asks and I snort, elbowing him in the ribs gently but then he raises a hand "wait. You know what? I don't wanna know." He backtracks. However, I ignore him because I know his curiosity will eat him alive and he will end up asking me by the end of the day "she wants a baby." I tell him and Mark adds "my baby." This catches Derek off guard and he looks between the two of us shocked.

As we make for a hallway he asks "what did you say?" and I place a hand on my stomach, feeling the baby kick lightly "nothing." Mark answers casually "it's crazy. Until you think about it and realise it's kind of genius." Derek and I give each other confused looks and I retort "until you think about it, you don't realise how stupid you are." Mark rolls his eyes and explains to us "I love Julia. I want Sofia to have some siblings to grow up with. Why wouldn't I do it?" I honestly can't tell whether he is trying to talk himself into it or out of it.

Derek voices my confusion as he asks "are you asking us if you should have a baby?" Mark hesitates, staring at us for a few moments. "What, you think I shouldn't?" He asks and I ask for clarification "have a baby or ask us if you should have a baby?" Mark still isn't properly listening to us. "So you think I should do it?" So this guy really is an idiot. So I offer "well, do you want Julia to be in your life forever?" We stop in the hall.

"You think I shouldn't do it?" Jesus Christ how did this man become a well-renowned doctor I will never know. Derek sucks in a breath "do you have to answer that right now?" He asks as we both look at our friend. Before Mark can answer a female voice from behind him says "hey. Answer what?" We look behind him to see Lexie Grey coming towards us and I suddenly feel very awkward being in this conversation. Derek thankfully covers for our friends by answering "we were just talking about the cranioplasty."

Lexie goes wide-eyed and smiles "it's exciting right?" Mark just stares at her like a deer in headlights, unsure what to say or do. Poor guy. I cough awkwardly and check the time "I have to go and check on some patients before surgery so I'll see you guys later." And I head for the elevator.

At lunch, Derek, Mark, Bailey, Teddy and I are all sitting at a table and staring at the possible new candidates if our old students decide to leave us. They all look prim and proper and according to Bailey, they were asking all sorts of questions about their own offices and reserved parking spaces. "No, he's not gonna...." Derek says pulling a face as we all watch one of them play with a bread roll "yes, he is." I say before taking a bite out of my sandwich. He sniffs it and we all make a noise "oh my god." Teddy says wrinkling her nose and Bailey says "I told you." I snort and take another bite of my food.

Owen Hunt then comes over to our table "Dr Bailey, where are the candidates?" He asks and we all point towards the adults in the food line. "Over there, destroying my appetite," Derek answers out loud. Owen sits down next to me as Bailey continues "you know, I never thought I would've said this. But we need to keep our people, people." I nod my head in agreement, my mouth full of food. Honestly, my appetite since becoming pregnant has almost doubled. "We haven't put in all this training and put up with all their nonsense to go grovelling at the feet of bread sniffers." I laugh when Bailey says this although it is true.

"Kepnder's already gotten job offers at four different programs," Owen admits and my eyes widen, I think April is the least likely to leave so the fact she has multiple other offers is slightly terrifying. Mark looks back at his dark-haired friend as he adds "well, Grey's not going anywhere. Not without Yang anyway." I bite the inside of my cheek nervously and focus on unscrewing my bottle lid. Cristina is the most likely to leave, given how things have been going with Owen.

The ginger looks down at the table sadly before replying "Cristina has options." Before things can get awkward Bailey speaks up "my contact in Boston may have mentioned that Meredith said their program was her first choice." I snap my head to Derek, who surely would have told me if he know he might be moving away. He just looks over the table to Bailey. "You're building a house." Mark says and I shake my head "you can't be my baby's godfather if you are living in Boston." I argue.

Derek however, ignores both of us as he replies to Bailey "Harvard has an excellent neurosurgery department." He stands up as he continues "and they have plenty of really nice houses." As Derek walks away smiling I lean against my chair and call out "don't be all cryptic and then walk away. I hate you, Derek!" He chuckles and pushes open the door to the cafeteria "I hate you too Andy." They all look at me then, their silence deafening and I know they are wondering about Alex.

I take a deep breath before answering their question "I told him that if his best opportunity is somewhere else, I'll move with him." Owen groans and rubs his forehead "great, now I have to prepare in case two of my heads of departments leave too." I pull a guilty face and say "sorry."

My phone buzzes just as I get out of surgery and I look down to see it's Alex calling me. Smiling I pick up the phone "hey baby, how were your boards?" There is silence for a few moments before a frustrated voice says "awful, I missed the first lot because of stupid traffic and then they gave me trick questions. I'm gonna fail." I sigh and stop walking. "You're not gonna fail, they are nicer than you think they are. Trust me, I thought I messed up my boards and look at me now." Alex sighs and I can imagine what he is doing now. Pacing the hotel hallway, bag swinging at his side.

"What if I do fail?" He asks so quietly I can barely hear him, I lean against the wall and tuck my empty hand into my pants pocket "so you fail, you try again next year and then you will be better prepared." There is another silence. "Will you still want to marry me if I fail?" The question is so ridiculous I have to laugh. "Alex, I want to marry you for you. Not because you're some doctor or anything. In fact, I think I'll want to marry you more, I'd be marrying a man that doesn't give up."

He sniffs and I glance down the hallway as the door at the end opens. "I love you." Alex says and I smile gently "I love you too, now get your butt on a plane as soon as you can." He chuckles before ending the call.

They are all back from their board exams and Meredith, Jackson, Cristina and Alex are all standing in a circle looking at their phones waiting to receive their results. I am nervous for them, I mean, I know what it's like. The anticipation of finding out whether you can become a fully practising doctor or not. It's scary. "If anyone failed, it was me, because my guy had a vendetta." I catch Cristina telling the others, Alex scoffs, never lifting his eyes from his phone "please. I've got the odds don failure." I move over to him and clutch his arm. He looks at me briefly before going back to his phone. 

Jackson finds out he passed and then Meredith gets it and then Cristina. "Come one." Alex says angrily to his phone. It then dings and he gasps turning to me. "I passed." He says and I smile "congratulations baby." He laughs, picks me up and spins me around "I actually passed."