Chapter 77

Nothing feels real

Nothing feels real. Everything is blurry. I barely register that people surround me, barely register someone picking me. I scream and thrash and fight out of the persons grip. "We've got to sedate her." I hear distantly, my sister and my niece are dead. Murdered. I feel a prick in my arm and suddenly the world goes black.

-

When I wake up I'm in a hospital bed and my mind is foggy. I glance around, wincing slightly as my head is pounding. "Andy." I hear a male voice, I turn my head and see Owen standing in the doorway, he has his arms crossed. "Hunt." I say sitting up "What? What happened?" I ask, he looks at me with concern, he moves further into the room and my heart is hammering in my chest. Nervous. "Andy, you had a manic episode." He tells me bluntly "You were inconsolable, we had to sedate you." I swallow hard, trying to piece together what happened but everything is still blurry. He sits on the edge of my bed and I move my legs to make room for him.

"Can you tell me what happened?" He asks gently "I want to help." I open my mouth to answer but then Alex, Derek and Callie comes barreling into the room. "Hunt, we agreed I'd talk to her." Alex snaps angrily come straight to my side. He slides his hand into mine and I visibly relax. Owen looks between the two of us "I am the Chief of surgery, Dr Karev." He replies calmly "And Dr Tearney is part of my staff, it is my responsibility to make sure she is ok." I rub my thumb over Alex's hand to calm him down. What happened is becoming clearer and tears brim my eyes.

My voice wobbles as I speak "My sister and niece are dead. They were uh they were murdered." There is complete silence for a moment, no one even dares make a sound. "Oh Andy I am so sorry." Callie says quietly and I start crying again. Alex pulls me into him and I notice the others share a look. Owen stands up "Take some time off Andy." He says "Take as much time as you need." I swallow hard and nod my head. Watching as he leaves, once he is gone Derek and Callie come closer. They all envelope me in a hug.

-

I am discharged quickly and Alex drives me home. "I'll still pick Will up." He says breaking the silence once we get inside. "If you need anything call me ok?" He says and I nod, walking like a zombie into the bedroom. Mechanically I climb into bed and curl up, I feel so numb. Unsure if any of this is real. Alex follows me inside, leans over and kisses me on the temple lightly "I love you, I'll see you later." And he leaves.

I stare into space. Stare into space and think about the world without Ronnie and Ava in it. Ava will never grow up, never go to senior prom, never have a boyfriend, never get married. Veronica will never get to see her daughter grow up. It's not fair. I know Aaron would have caught their killer but I know no amount of prison time will bring my family back.

I don't know how long I lay in bed in silence but I hear a knock on my bedroom door before it slowly opens revealing Derek and Callie. I sit up, for the first time in hours and feel the pins and needles in my legs. They both step further into the room, without saying anything they come over to me. They get into the bed either side, Derek turns on the TV, while Callie brings out a bag of snacks I didn't notice when she first came in.

We sit in silence watching tv and eating the snacks, before we come to a scene with three sisters and I burst into tears. "It's ok." Derek says as Callie soothes my back "get it all out." She says and I can't stop crying. It's like a dam was broken and nothing will stop the flow of tears in my eyes right now.

-

Derek and Callie changed the channel just as Alex appears with our baby in his arms. "Thank you guys." I hear him whisper but all I care about is my daughter. Silently I hold out my hands and Alex hands her too me. "Hey baby." I say, my voice sore from all of the crying. She stares up at me with wonder and for the first time I notice how much she looks like Ronnie.

My heart clenches as she reaches up to grab me. I kiss her forehead before gently handing her back to her father. He then turns to my friends "I have to run a few errands can you stay here?" Callie and Derek look at each other then at me. "Yeah." Callie says as they both nod "we got this."