Chapter 13

It's Derek's first day as interim chief and I know how tense he is as we were both out drinking last night and he told me all about it

It's Derek's first day as interim chief and I know how tense he is as we were both out drinking last night and he told me all about it. I walk through the halls of the hospital and spot Jackson with a group of others, I smile and slide up next to him taking his hand.

"Webber's out, Shepherds in. True?" Charles asks and I finally spot Lexie and Alex in front of us. My mouth goes dry but Jackson's clutches my hand tightly "we know what you know." Lexie insist and Reed turns to me "do you know something?" She presses. The others go silent, Alex turns his head and glances at me slightly, I open my mouth to answer but he faces forward and bites back "leave her alone." I notice Jackson clench his jaw slightly and mutters to his friend "seriously?" She shrugs, putting her hands in her lab coat pocket "she's an attending and best friends with Derek Shepherd, she's bound to know something."

I frown and shoot her a look as we make for the main area "and she can hear you." She rolls her eyes and finds a spot away from us. I lean into Jackson letting his presence comfort me, he brings my hand up and kisses it gently letting me relax for a moment. Derek stands on the stairs, the same stairs where Richard told us about the merger and nervously takes out a piece of paper.

Derek clears his throat and begins speaking "I wanna thank you all for being here. I know you're busy, so I'll try to make this quick. As you may have heard, I have been appointed the new interim chief of surgery. It's my personal goal to make this transition as smooth as possible. I know we have had a rocky few months." Alex shifts in front of us and whispers "here is comes." Jackson just rolls his eyes.

"Mistakes have been made." Derek continues "I intend to right those wrongs and.... Bring this hospital back to its former glory." Lexie gasps, looking away from Derek "check it out." She whispers quietly "Chief Webber." I bite the inside of my cheek as I watch Richard and an older white man come storming into the room, both with looks of fury on their faces.

Derek trails off and looks at them both, the unknown man checks his watch and Derek adjusts his speech "what's I meant..... by that is..... what I'm trying to say is I wanna thank you for your support, in advance. That's all. Ok, let's get back to work." Everyone seems unsure and then I spot Arizona as she starts clapping, I smile at the girl before looking down at my pager.

"I've got to go but I'll see you later." I say looking up at Jackson, he nods and we kiss gently before I escape back up to the peds floor.

I leave the room of one of my patients the same time that Arizona does and I am caught off guard by who follows. Alex Karev. I clear my throat "Robbins can I speak with you?" I ask and she turns, bright eyes wide "yeah sure." She says before ordering Alex to do something. She comes over to me and I cross my arms "what's Karev doing up here?" I ask, he is normally in trauma or general but never in peds.

"Oh Doctor Bailey told me about the work he did with that baby, I decided to put him on my service." I frown, searching her eyes for a moment. "And you didn't think to ask me?" I say and she gives me a confused look, with a smile she asks "what was there to ask?" I stand up straight, trying to show my authority "Arizona you may forget this sometimes but I am still your boss, you have to come to me when you want to add someone to peds."