Chapter 53

"Practice, practice, practice until it is perfect people

"Practice, practice, practice until it is perfect people." Owen Hunt says as we all stand in front of him in an OR "this is a long, complex procedure with many parts. Therefore cant opportunities for error. So we're gonna go over this again. Team leaders, let's get into place." Everyone stats moving around to their places. 

Arizona follows in my shadow as we walk round to where we need to be. "we offered this family every pro bono dollar, every surgical hand, every resource this hospital has." Owen continues "s I'm asking you for every resource you have. Be sharp, be present, be focused. Dr Tearney and Dr Robbins have been caring for these children since the day they were born. They will each get a new life today. Our actions decide what kind of lives they will be.."

He then rather dramatically uncovers two fake babies, with their backs to each other and connects to machines. It's supposed to be a fake version of very real patients. "Let's begin." Hunt announces. 

"Flaps are inset and viable." Mark says, the first one to speak, mostly to the crowd of people in the OR watching us. "We are looking at at least 18 hours, so come and go if you need to." Owen says taking over again "but be here at least 30 minutes before your procedures." I then walk over to the dolls on the bed "alright, next up general surgery." I announce "first we need to establish each baby's blood supply to the shared colon." 

My partner adds "then we separate the colon, making the first incision-" I snap my eyes up and cut through him talking "I will make the first incision." I command "we'll separate the colon." There is a slight pause before he continues. "Ok, and now I'm checking the displaced kidneys-" This time it isn't me who interrupts but Arizona "to make sure they're intact and functioning." The man nods and looks up "that's implied." He says and I have the urge to hit him. I don't. 

"We don't care." I bite back "say it." he sighs, looking back down at the bodies. "Checking the kidneys to make sure they're intact and functioning." We go through the motions and I keep correcting the man on the green team as he does stuff wrong. 

Arizona leans forward "you forgot to cauterise." She points out and I add angrily "do you want this baby to bleed out?" When we are finally done with both our section and arguing I announce "it's time to flip."

Everyone looks around and Derek speaks "Karev, you're up." Everyone starts moving around and I smile as Alex comes to my other side. "You ready?" I ask cheerily and very unenthusiastically he replies "yeah."

-

"Karev, you rushed it. You're like two steps ahead of me." I say angrily and Alex argues back "yours over mine, everything's fine. Mine over yours, babies in the morgue. That's how it works." I narrow my eyes and look at my stupid fiancée, "that's your pneumonic device?" I ask but before he can answer Owen cuts in "great. Now Brandi's wounds are exposed, and little Andi's gone without oxygen for a whole minute."

I groan and Arizona raises her hand "can we start over?" She asks and Owen shakes his head "no, there's no time." He replies "let's just finish this practice and try the flip again. Next." We put the dolls down and rush out of everyones way as we all scramble to change again.