Chapter 73

Alex and I are back from our honeymoon

Alex and I are back from our honeymoon. I am glad to be back with my daughter, who seems to have grown since we saw her two weeks ago. Although that might be my imagination and hopefulness. Alex and I drop Willow off at daycare at the hospital before heading down to the attending lounge, which is still strange that we share a lounge at the hospital now. Once we get in there, the atmosphere is awkward and before either of us can ask anything Owen Hunt speaks up "I have one last thing to say. Some of you, uh, may run into Arizona Robbins today. It's her first day back." Everyone cheers.

Derek spots me by the door and comes over to embrace me "You're tan." He whispers in my ear and I smile "Spain is sunny this time of year." I jest playfully before Owen continues talking so if you see her, just make her feel welcome." But then Callie contradicts him by saying "Or maybe.. maybe just don't make a big deal at all. It might be better." Everyone nods and Owen replies "Noted. Thank you." He goes slightly red. As everyone scrambles to leave Chief Hunt adds "Hold on. I just want to address one more thing." Everyone pauses where they are "Most of you are aware that a group of our doctors have filed a lawsuit against our hospital. Some of you may be wondering what this all means and how it's gonna affect our staff. I'd like to be clear. It doesn't, at all. Let's just let the lawyers worry about that. That's their job. Our job is to continue to work together and support one another in giving the great standard of care that we have always given. Let's not let something like this get in the way of that."

As everyone files out I nudge Derek "What did I miss while I was away?" I ask and he sighs, shaking his head "We decided to take legal action for the crash." He says and I give him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry."I say although I don't know why I am apologising "It's probably bringing up a lot of things you don't want to remember." Derek lets out a breathy laugh and opens a door for me "You have no idea."

-

Alex and I are standing in one of the main halls filling out some paperwork when Callie comes rushing over, phone in hand. "Red Eagle has landed." She says and Alex lookup confused "What?" He asks and I close my binder. "Arizona is here," I explain as I have been helping Callie prepare for the moment Arizona came back to the hospital to work. "I had an intern wait at the entrance and then text me when they saw her." Callie explains acting as though she is in a spy movie "I also put the weirdo over there on wheelchair duty. Now listen, she'll be tired and in pain but she won't ask for it unless she sees it's close by. Just don't shove it in her face. She hates that."

I place a hand on Callie's shoulder comfortingly "She's going to be fine Cal, she wouldn't come back if she didn't think she couldn't handle it." Callie stands up straight and replies "She didn't think she was ready to like 2 seconds ago, not until Bailey managed to get her to leave the house the other day." I raise my eyebrows in confusion and Callie shakes her head "I'll explain later." The elevator doors ding and Callie's demeanour changes to "red eagle." She says casually and Alex makes to look behind him but she says "Don't look up. Don't look up." He rolls his eyes and looks back down at the paperwork.

Arizona comes over, walking stick in hand. "Hi." She says and I smile back at her "It's good to see you Arizona." I greet her friendly and my husband (still weird to say that) greets me with a gruff "Robbins." Callie acts as though she isn't internally panicking as she says "Arizona! Good to see you. Well, I gotta run. Derek's all 'fix my hand. No rest till I'm healed.' Grr!" And then she leaves. I clear my throat awkwardly before I embrace Arizona "I would love to stay and chat but I have surgery on a 5-year-old with a piece of Lego up his nose." Before I can leave Arizona clutches my hand and says "I want to hear all about your honeymoon later." I smile brightly, glad she is feeling happier enough to ask "I have some great pictures." I say before leaving.

-

I am sitting with Bailey on our lunch break while Jackson and Callie come up with a plan to fix Derek's hand so he can continue doing surgery. "The brochure has a picture of the place decorated with icicle lights." Bailey complains about the venue that Ben picked for their wedding as she angrily stabs a piece of salad "and those reindeer made out of twigs." Callie and I gasp making Bailey look at us with a blank expression and Callie retracts "That's gross." I snort and swallow the bite of my for "I think it's adorable." Bailey shoots me a look and I shrug "What? I am sorry if I'm a romantic." Bailey huffs angrily, stating another piece of salad. "You're with Karev, what do you know about romance?" I roll my eyes theatrically.

"What about a cupcake tower instead of a cake? You could do the red and green frosting." Callie asks changing the subject, Jackson silently looks at his phone. Bailey gives her a dirty look and Callie throws her arms up in the air "Oh, come on." She says "You guys are in love. Why not celebrate that?" This time Jackson adds something to the conversation although it is nothing positive "Cause sometimes love makes you do stupid things. Suddenly you've screwed the rest of your life." Bailey nods along with him, looking down at her food "What he said."

Callie frowns at him and asks "Why are you even talking? I need that answer about the radial nerve transfer." Angrily Jackson bites back "Yeah. Slow reader here." I raise my eyebrows surprised he has bitten back at Callie although before anyone can say anything else the door to the room opens and Arizona appears "Hey!" She says sounding slightly out of breath "Hey." Callie returns the greeting and then the rest of us greet her. Jackson turns around then suddenly in a good mood "Hey Dr Robbins, you're working with the horse kid right?" He asks and Arizona replies equally as peppy "Yeah, I am. Karev's got him in pre-op." Jackson leans on the arm of his chair casually and asks "And Dr Kepner, was she also in pre-op is she probably"

"Excuse me. Why would she know where your girlfriend is?" Callie asks "Read the article." I snort at Jackson looks like a toddler who has just been scolded. "Hey, I'm gonna do an exploratory lap on this kid tonight." Arizona tells her wife "So I'm gonna be home a little late." Bailey and I gasp quietly and share a surprised look. "You're doing exploratory surgery on your first day back?" I ask before taking a bite of my sandwich. Callie changes the subject quickly so as not to discourage Arizona "Hey! uh, Bailey and Ben are having a Christmas wedding. They're gonna have carollers."

Bailey gives her a look that says 'traitor' as Arizona replies "Oh! I love Christmas carollers." as she leaves the room Bailey calls after her "There will be no carollers." I laugh and kick Bailey's foot with my own "do it." I tell her "You will regret it if you don't." She just glares at me in reply. Jackson's phone beeps and then he jumps up and makes the for the door. "Dr Torres I'll be right back." And he shoots from the room in a hurry

-

I am sitting with Alex, Derek, Meredith and our children in the house that Derek built for his wife. "So you just fell in the water," Derek asks laughing, the two of us girls clutching a glass of wine each and the men beers. "Yes, he did," I say giggling and leaning back against the grey sofa. Alex pouts and sips his beer "Because you pushed me." He argues. I pat his thigh affectionately "Babe, I didn't push you. You leaned too far over the boat and you fell in." He rolls his eyes while the rest of us laugh.

Willow starts crying and both Alex and I get up. "We should probably go," I say as Alex grabs our baby from the guest room. The other two nod, Meredith takes the bottles and glasses into the kitchen. She hasn't touched her wine and Derek walks the two of us to the door "I am glad you had a good honeymoon." He says as I hug him. I take Alex's hand as we step from the house "Thank you for having us over for dinner." I say and we leave pretty swiftly, wanting to get our baby home. On the drive home, Willow finally back asleep I say "I think Meredith is pregnant." Alex raises an eyebrow as he keeps his eyes on the road.

"Oh yeah?" He says "Why do you think that?" I shrug innocently and answer "Just a feeling." I turn the radio up higher and both me and Alex share a look because this was our first dance song.

A/N: What song do you think they did their first dance to?