Chapter 80

The next day, Alex still hasn't made an appearance

The next day, Alex still hasn't made an appearance. I have a pit in my stomach I am scared will swallow me whole if I don't get answers soon. I get Willow dressed for the day and am about to head out of the door when my phone starts buzzing. I take it out of my pocket and see that it's Alex. My heart almost stops in my chest as I answer it "Hello?" I ask and he immediately starts talking "Are you still at the house?" He asks and I sigh "Yes, why?" There is a moment of pause and I swear I can hear a woman in the background laughing. Or it could be my imagination, right? "I need you to... Actually never mind, a trauma just came in." I hear that laughter again and then the line goes dead. Shit.

-

Turns out there was a massive trauma, a car pile up with a tanker that might have blown. No one seems to know about that one. "Ethan Dawson, 10 years old. Restrained in the backseat." The paramedic tells me and Owen as the disembark from the back of the ambulance "No obvious injuries except for a minor wrist lac. He was walking around at the scene." Owen takes the chart and looks down at the boy "Ethan, my name is Dr Hunt." The first question the 10 year old asks however is "Are my mum and dad dead?" My heart squeezes imagining my own daughter in this situation even though she is safely tucked away upstairs.

"No, no. They're right inside." Owen tells the little boy "You'll see them soon ok?" I turn to the paramedic and give them instructions "Take him inside, one of the interns will look after him." She nods and carts him towards the ER. After everyone is inside I order Murphy to care for the little boy under my supervision, I don't say anything I just watch to make sure she is doing a good job.

Owen comes over and speaks to both of us "Finish bandaging his wrist, and then have somebody wait with him.." The boy's scratchy throat cuts him off "But I thought you said I could see my parents." He says and I look over at Owen who looks stunned. Before anything else can be said however, my pager starts going off aggressively. I look down at it and curse "I've gotta run, Murphy look after him." And I run up to the peds floor.

When I get there I rush into the 911 room where there are a bunch of people and Alex giving a little girl CPR. "What happened?" I demand as I go over to him, he looks behind his shoulder at me briefly before answering "Charlotte Lawrence, admitted with kidney failure started coding nine minutes ago." I roll my eyes and take over from his CPR.

"I know her case Dr Karev, she is my patient. Why is she coding?" I snap, everyone else in the room remains silently. "Paddles." I order and someone hands them to me. I shock the girl several times but she codes, tears well in my eyes and I place the paddles down. "Time of death 11:23." I mumble before walking out. Alex is close behind me and I turn on him "What happened in there?" I ask crossing my arms and summoning my inner attending.

He scratches the back of his neck and frowns "I don't know Andy." He says and I glare at him "Well you need to start knowing, she was perfectly find yesterday after her surgery and now she's dead. And now you need to tell her parents that you let their daughter die." I snap before storming away before I say anything else. Something that might not be related to the patient.

-

Alex and I avoid each other like the plague for the rest of the day despite the tanker explosion. At the end of the day I go to pick up my daughter only to be told that Alex has taken her already. Swallowing hard, I offer the daycare woman a kind smile before heading out of the door and to my car.

Once back at my house, Alex is sitting on the sofa, elbows resting on his knees as though he is deep in thought. "How could you just take her without telling me." I snap as I enter the living room. Alex's head snaps up and towards me "What?" He says so I repeat as I take off my jacket and hang it up. "You took Willow from Daycare without telling me. Why would you do that?" He just gives me a neutral look. He takes a deep breath before answering "Now you know what it felt like for me when you took her and ran." I sigh, knowing it would come back to this eventually because that is where all of our problems started.

Instead of sitting down and talking it out like a rational adult I go on the defensive. "So you're using our daughter as a way to what? Teach me a lesson?" I ask and Alex shakes his head, standing up. "I took our daughter from daycare so that I could spend time with her after missing months of her life." He replies calmly "I didn't even know she started walking." His voice goes quiet when he says the last part and it makes my stomach twinge with guilt.

I look away, not being able to stand looking at him as my mind wanders to the perfume bottle I found in our bathroom. "Stay here." I order after several moments of silence, Alex moves to grab me "Come on Andy, you can't just run away all the time." I whirl around and face him, my expression one of fury. "Stay.Here." I seethe and for once he does what I ask. I storm into the bathroom and grab the perfume bottle before coming back out and throwing it at him. Alex catches it quickly, a confused look on his face "What about this?" I demand angrily "I have never used that perfume before. I go away for a while, I come back and it's sitting on our bathroom counter."

Alex sighs and steps towards me, I take a step back and he hesitates. "Andy." He says, his entire demeanour softening "The night you left I bought this as a present for you." He explains "We weren't on the best terms and I wanted to give you something to cheer you up. I forgot it was there because I haven't been sleeping here since you left. You can ask anyone, I've been sleeping at the hospital." I bite the inside of my cheek feeling even more like a jerk than before. He steps closer and I let him, he gently cups my cheek with one of his hands.

"You are the love of my life Andromeda, I would never never put myself into a position to loose you. I did once before, years ago and I refuse to do that again." He says making tears well in my eyes. "You and Willow are the greatest things to ever happen to me and I could never imagine my life without you. No one, no girl, could ever compare to the way you make me feel. You are my life." I start sobbing then and Alex pulls me into him. "I'm such an ass." I say, crying into his chest. Alex chuckles and kisses the top of my head. "You're not an ass." He whispers.