Chapter 34

The next morning I go downstairs to Alex making coffee, I wrap my arms around him from behind and place my head on his back

The next morning I go downstairs to Alex making coffee, I wrap my arms around him from behind and place my head on his back. "I'm booking tomorrow off so I can start moving our stuff into the house." I tell him. Alex steps away from the coffee machine "I can book it off too if you want." I shake my head, taking the coffee from his hands which makes him pout "it's still the race for chief resident, plus there are like 2 other peds attending's. They won't miss me."

Alex wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me in to him. I am careful not to spill my coffee "I'll miss you." He mutters grazing his lips over mine, I tut and pull away "you literally see me everyday get a hold of yourself."

He chuckles and Lexie appears in the door way "are you two ready to go?" She asks sharply, I know she is still hurting from the Mark and Callie thing so I'll excuse it. I pour my coffee quickly into a travel mug before grabbing my keys "let's go."

-

"We know for a fact that this heart is a viable option." Teddy finishes her explanation to the parents of our patient. Cristina, Teddy, Arizona and I are all on this case, Lucy Fields (the OBYN who helped deliver the donor baby is standing next to me) "how?" The dad asks with his hands in his suit pockets "how do we know that this is a good match?"

Cristina, quickly and confidently answers the question before the rest of us has the chance to "babies under a year haven't developed an immune system that will reject the new organ. It make matching a lot easier." We all nod in agreement. The mum looks at us with concerned eyes "but were still four weeks way from the due date. Our OB isn't even in town right now."

She places a hand over her stomach and Fields speaks up "I'm covering for Dr Napolitano. I've got her blessing to go ahead and do the C-section today." This catches the parents out. "Today?" The father asks worry lacing his voice "that's really..."

Just then a familiar voice cuts in "Colin, time's an issue here." We all turn and see Alex standing in the door way "we need to inform the transplant board as soon as possible if you want this heart. Otherwise it's gonna go to another family." I raise my hand signalling that's enough from him and I turn back to the parents.

"You know what? There are a lot of doctors in the room right now, so why don't we give the Cookes some space? You can have one of the nurses page us when you've made a decision." And we all leave the room quickly. Just as we leave I notice Alex catch Arizona by the wrist "what's going on? Why didn't you page me?" He asks.

Arizona turns to face him and I stop at the nurses station "turnip, Karev?" She snaps, he frowns before looking over at Lucy Fields "you tatteld on me?" He asks and Lucy comes back over to them "you are so off this case." She muses. Alex looks at Arizona and then me "seriously? I have said way worse than that."

Arizona shakes her head "yeah, not helping." And as they both walk away Alex calls "are you kidding me?"

-

I am sitting in the attending's lounge typing away on my phone while Teddy reads a magazine and Callie pours herself a cup of coffee. Our peace is disrupted by Arizona bursting in. "What are you doing?" She asks her girlfriend who turns around mid pour like a child caught with candy "uhhhh, I looked it up. And those caffeine studies showed birth defects in rats and I'm not a rat so..."

Both Teddy and I stop what we are doing and watch them as Callie looks at us "tell her I'm not a rat." I shrug and Teddy opens her mouth to speak before getting cut of by Arizona "we took a vote." She says stepping further into the room. Teddy and I share a look that says we know we should probably leave but are both so nosy we can't help ourselves.

"Yeah, well, I have to fix multiple fractures, Arizona. That's a major surgery. Ok, so that totally changed the situation completely. And Mark's not here, so it's your vote against mine.... I need caffeine." Callie argues. Arizona just shrugs casually "ok. You want caffeine that badly, Calliope, fine. You're a grownup. You can make your own decisions."

Arizona sits down and Callie turns to face all of us "that's right." She says happily however when she brings her cup up to her mouth she hesitates and we watch as she has an internal war with herself "Damn it!" She says "that's not fair. You're not fair." She says placing the cup in front of the blonde before walking out.

"For someone who has a history of ambivalence towards motherhood." Teddy muses "you got the whole guilt thing down cold." I shake my head looking back down at my phone "it's scary Robbins. Scary." Arizona laughs shifting around in her chair and flipping her hair over one shoulder "I'm entitled to an opinion." She says "I've been left out of too much of the conversation already. And I sure as hell did not choose Mark Sloan to be the father. So if I'm gonna do this, then, you know what? I'm gonna have a voice."

-

Arizona and I flipped a coin to see which of us would go into surgery and she won. So I am lying in a bed in the on call room flicking through photos that my sister has put on Facebook of my niece. The topic of kids came up in our last text thread as a family, my mum demeaning when I am having kids. Of course I shut down that talk quickly.

Alex and I are just about to move in together, we aren't rushing anything. I mean we haven't spoken about kids really, or marriage. I don't know if it is something he would want, I don't even know if I want it. I am too focused on my career right now to think about having a family but I guess it would be nice one day. And if they end up turning out like Ava then it's a win win.

-

The surgery went well according to Arizona who filled me in as soon as they came out. It's the end of my shift so I head to meet Alex so we can go to our dinner reservation, it's date night. A tradition we have crafted so as not to end up like before.

"Hey gorgeous." Alex says when he see me, he is standing with Lucy who looks between us. I smile and head over to him "hey." I say interlacing my fingers with his. Lucy glances down at our hands before saying goodbye.

-

At our dinner I take a sip of my wine and sit back, fully satisfied after the meal "life couldn't be more perfect right now." I muse, swirling the wine in the glass. Alex cheers me to that, "what if we got married?" He asks and I almost choke. I pat my chest "what?" I say laughing "absolutely not." He frowns and tilts his head "why not?"

I place my glass down and sit up properly "because we have just moved in together and that was the least romantic proposal ever." Alex chuckles lightly and shrugs "but one day?" I fake gasp and clutch my chest in shock "are you telling me, The Alex Karev is ready to commit for life?"

He shrugs again and motions for the waiter to bring the bill "we are already in it for life Andromeda, I just want to be able to call you my wife." My smile grows bigger.