Chapter 25

"Morning Mark

"Morning Mark." I say opening the door to my apartment, he comes strolling in with his bag over his shoulder "not interrupting anything am I?" He asks, I snort moving to the kitchen as I take his travel cup "you aren't interrupting anything." He sighs and leans against the counter, watching me pour coffee for both of us "good because I walked in on Torres and Robbins doing it." I laugh, screwing on the lid to his cup and pushing it towards him "I bet they loved that." I say sarcastically and my friend smiles.

We get into work early, Mark buys me a pastry which I am very happy about. "I'll see you later." I call over my shoulder as an intern comes over to me with pressing questions.

"You should have seen it Doctor Tearney." The man in front of me says "His 'pottaballet' kicked the other kids' asses." I am in my patients room, a teenage boy with Alex and Callie standing behind me. "It's pas de bourrèe dad." The boy says in slight embarrassment, his dad looks around confused "what did I say?" I clutch my file closely as the wife says "you said it in American, Fred. It's French. Right sweetie?"

The boy sits on the bed casually, hands folded in his lap "yes." He answers "and it's not something that you really 'kick ass' at. Can we talk about the cancer now? Anything to make them stop?" He means to lighten the mood, I know that but it doesn't darken it more then he intended. "Yeah." I say nodding my head before looking back at Alex "Dr Karev?" He looks down at the boy and I try to ignore how soft his expression is.

"Jake Fisher, 15. Osteosarcoma of the right tibia. Today he'll be getting a minor bone dissection." He lists off dutifully, "how long after the surgery before I can dance again?" Jake asks and his mum cuts in before we have a chance to answer "he's anxious cause his ballet company's doing Swan Lake this spring." The dad nods, trying to wrap his head around it even now "it's like his Super Bowl."

Alex raises his eyebrows showing he is impressed as Callie explains "Jake, your recovery will depend on today's scans. They'll tell us how much the chemo shrunk the tumour. But trust me, we will have you back on your feet as soon as possible." The boy looks upset, I give him my biggest smile.

We sit waiting for Jake's scans to show up. Arizona is standing with us, she hasn't got any cases at the moment and wanted to spend time with Callie, we are in silence for the most part until Alex says "his pain's not too bad. That means his tumour probably shrunk right?" Callie swings side to side on her chair and answers "if the chemo did its job." Just when I think we will go back to silence Mark appears "guess who just scored a table at that new sushi place that's impossible to get into?"

Callie sits up a smile widening on her face "no way!" Mark smirks satisfyingly "8:30, table for three." I sit back in my chair and place my hands on my stomach "oh, you know, I don't eat Sushi." Arizona says and I notice that she pulls a face "yeah you do." Callie says giving her a weird look. Arizona bits her lip "yeah. I did, but then I got sick after I ate one of those pre-packaged rolls at the cafeteria. Bad memory." Although she doesn't sound convinced of herself.