Chapter 32

House hunting as been probably the worst thing in the world

House hunting as been probably the worst thing in the world. It seems whenever we come to a decision one of us finds something wrong with the house. "What about this one?" Alex asks me leaning over a nurses station on the Peds floor. He shows me the flyer, it's a cute two bedroom "it's not too far from here." I muse handing it back "we can go on our lunch break." He nods and I look around "today is going so slow." Alex moans and I reach over to hit him on the arm. He steps away from me and rubs the place where I hit him "hey! what was that for?" he asks. I fold my arms and give him a menacingly look "we don't say that it is quite." Alex frowns at me and asks "why?"

Before I have a chance to answer Derek appears "what's going on?" he asks rubbing his hands together, Alex looks over at Derek and says "I just said today is going to be slow." Derek sucks in a breath and shakes his head "yeah, no. We don't have that kind of talk here." Alex opens his mouth and closes it again. Derek nudges me with his shoulder and asks "you ready?" I nod and move past my boyfriend "call the estate agent about that house." I kiss him gently. Then his pager goes off and I hear him moan. I chuckle "the first year medical students are here today." I tell Derek as we walk away.

-

"I mean I get it." Arizona says as she, Mark and I get out of the elevator "she's got a hang-up on me being perfect. Everything comes easy for me and I don't have any flaws. And now that I've clearly made a mistake, she's gonna pound the crap out of it." Mark laughs when she finally stops talking and asks "so you don't think your perfect?" Arizona shakes her head as we round a corner "no. I have lots of flaws. I'm competitive. I'm a workaholic. I smoke when I'm stressed." I start to tie my hair up and out of my face "sure she'd love to hear all those" I muse "along with any other real faults you come up with."

Of course Alex, April and their two med students are following us along, Arizona then splits away from us and I ask Mark "do you think they will ever get back together? like honestly?" Mark sighs heavily and he shrugs his shoulders "I don't know, maybe if they both start speaking to each other properly and not just in big declarations." We enter the room, the others following quickly behind.

"Sarah Cassidy, 15, has a rare genetic condition called Treacher Collins Syndrome." Alex says to start us off "which caused her to be born without cheekbones, leaving her orbital floor unprotected and vulnerable to eye injury." The mum starts to rub her daughters back as the young girl says openly "which means the only extracurriculars I can sign up for are the ones that don't involve things flying at my face." Her mum pulls a face and looks over at us and says "she rocks chess club."

We all start laughing until Sarah turns to her mum and says "I just wanna play sports." her dad cuts in before anyone else can say anything "you bowl, honey." Sarah rolls her eyes dramatically "not really a sport dad." Mark uncrosses his arms gently and very softly he speaks "do you mind if I take a look?" they shake their heads and he steps closer to our patient. "Sarah we are going to take pieces of your skull and transplant them into your face to rebuild new cheekbones." I explain as Mark takes a look at her face "do you have any questions or concerns?" I ask. Without hesitating Sarah replies "volleyball tryouts are in two months. Can I try out?"