Chapter 46

"What are we looking at?" I ask Mark as we stand on the bridge close to the Chief's office

"What are we looking at?" I ask Mark as we stand on the bridge close to the Chief's office. "It's so weird seeing him in there." He replies narrowing his eyes as he looks into the office where Owen is sitting reading over some documents. Just then Chief - no Dr Webber comes over to us "Sloan, Tearney." He turns to see what we are looking at "look, I'm putting the word out. My case load's been kind of light these days, so if you hear of any red meat on the floor...." Mark cuts through his train of thought.

He leans against the railing "look at him." He says and both Richard and I turn to look at Hunt in his office "acting like he runs the place." I scratch the back of my neck awkwardly and look up at my friend. "Well, he kinda does." I answer awkwardly and Mark narrows his eyes further, playing with something in his hand. "He's hanging on by the skin of his teeth. It's undignified."

I jump out of my skin as Derek sneaks up behind us and asks lightly "what are you guys looking at?" and Mark ignores him and continues with what he was saying before he was interrupted "Hunt's not cut out for the job." Derek looks between the three of us like he has misses something. "What, did something happen?" He asks and I shake my head, placing my hands on my waist.

"Nothing happened." I answer and the plastic surgeon doesn't even take a breath before adding "you can see it in his demeanour. He's got fear in his eyes." I take a swig of the water in my hand as Derek says "he's a decorated military officer. What do you think got to him, call schedule, lunch order?"

I chuckle and he gently nudges me shoulder, flashing a smile at me. "I'm just saying." Mark says "when he belly flops. I'm here for the hospital." Richard's face remains neutral as he took takes in Owen Hunt. "You're a good man." He says tonelessly and quickly I add "just not good enough to be chief." This causes Mark to start play fighting with me and I squeal as he lifts me up into the air. "Gentlemen, lady." Owen says finally coming out of his office and towards us "anything I can do for you?"

Mark smiles awkwardly and replies "just watching the magic." I have to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing. "Actually I'm glad I ran into you." Owen says gesturing with his hands slightly "I'm gonna need your OR. We just got a call about a big accident at the convention centre. So I'm gonna have to bump your brow lift." He starts walking away then and Richard follows him.

Derek flicks Marks nose as he passes by, a big shit eating grin on his face. I give Mark a pouty look similar to the one he is currently sprouting "poor little Sloan." I say lifting my voice slightly "been kicked out of his OR." He sighs heavily and places one hand on his hip "I really hate you Andy." I chuckle and nudge his shoulder "sure you do."

-

Sloan and I are waiting by the elevator when Owen appears shaking his hand and wincing gently. "Is it true you punched someone in the ER?" I ask slightly excited after I heard what happened. He, however, ignores me "Shep, I need a neuro consult." Owen says as he hands him a tablet "why, because you punches a guy?" Derek asks as we all start down the hall together.

"What's this I hear about you punching a guy?" Webber asks as he joins us and Owen throws up his hands "alright, yes, I punched a patient who was endangering the safety of my nurses, my residents and other patients." I draw level with him as I throw my hair up in bun. "You know you're the Chief, not the Sheriff., right?" Mark asks and I elbow him in the ribs. Owen turns around to say something, his eyes wide when Derek shoves a screen in his face "the scan is clear." He says and Owen nods, moving his eyes from one of us to the other. "Thank you." He all but spits "all of you, really."

Just as he walks away Richard's pager beeps and he looks down at it "all right." He says simply before walking away. I start chuckling to myself and the two men look at me like I'm crazy "Owen Hunt punched a guy." I say my laughter increasing. The three of us; Derek, Mark and I start laughing all together.

-

That night I lay in bed watching Alex work on his paper, I sit up and brush the hair out of my eyes. "how long is that gonna take?" I ask. Alex sighs and grumbles the reply "I don't know but I need to get it finished soon otherwise I won't be given the Peds fellowship." He glares at me and I roll my eyes. I shuffle on the bed so I can rest my head on his shoulder "don't look at me like that." I say gently, running my hand up his arm softly as though I am barely touching him.

I feel him shudder under my touch as I add "I can't seem like I am playing favourites." He hums gently and I go to say something else when the door bell rings. Who the hell can that be? I frown and roll out of bed. "Don't worry." I say reaching the bedroom door "I'll get it." He nods his head and I go down the stairs.

The door swings open to reveal Shepherd, Hunt, Altaman and Sloan all standing huddled at my door. "What are you guys doing here?" I ask leaning against the door frame. Teddy raises her hand which has a grocery bag of alcoholic in it "come in." I say and push open the door. We all go to my living room and I grab us some glasses. Derek starts pouring the wine and I throw my legs over Mark's lap, I also take his daughter from him.

"Aren't you so cute." I say holding her high above me, Derek passes me a glass of wine and I hold the baby close to me. "Babe!" I hear Alex call from upstairs, I lean my head back against the sofa and call back "yeah!?" A few seconds pass as everyone gets a drink before Derek collapses on the floor. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, then "have you seen my-" Alex is cut short when he enters the room and sees most of the attendings and the chief of surgery in our living room.

He scratches his jaw and sighs heavily "I'm going back to the hospital so I can finish this." He then disappears again. Teddy and I share a look before we burst out with laughter. I don't know what they are doing here but tonight is gonna be a good night.