Chapter 47

Meredith, Cristina and Alex come into the meeting hall, the climb over several people so they can sit next to me

Meredith, Cristina and Alex come into the meeting hall, the climb over several people so they can sit next to me. "I can't believe Altman postponed our surgery for grand rounds. It's just a boring lecture" Cristina says as they all take their seats, Alex takes the one next to me and pecks me on the cheek "I didn't see you this morning." He says lowly and I nod flicking through my post op notes from last night "had to leave early this morning. Appy." I answer.

"Your husband said it was mandatory." Meredith replies to her friend. Alex, as he rolls up his lab coat adds "one more hour of sleep that's what it is." He shoots me a look that completely blames me for his lack of sleep and I just reply with an innocent smile. "Oh, no." April Kepner says leaning forward from the row behind us "it's not gonna be boring. This is Jackson's mother, Catherine Avery."

I turn around and look at Jackson who is slumped down in his chair "she's a urologist right?" I ask but April answers instead, speaking rapidly "yeah. I met her when I was an intern at Mercy West. She's amazing." Jackson pulls a face and starts playing with the lid of his coffee cup "she is a lunatic." I laugh lightly as April argues "no, she's not. She's brilliant. She says these things that shock you, but then when you think about them later, they change your whole life."

Alex is resting his head on my shoulder and snoring lightly which I choose to ignore because he really didnt get a lot of sleep last night. "Or they ruin your whole life." Jackson mutters a little angrily "she's toxic. She's a meddler. My mum has no boundaries. Be warned." April laughs like it unbelievable and Alex says "hey, is that why you shipped Lexie out of state?" and Cristina looks shocked "what?" She asks "oh. You shipped Lexie.... wow." She leans back in her chair and shakes her head.

Cristina smirks slightly, facing any from Jackson as she adds "who hides his girlfriend under a rock while his mum comes into town?" Meredith snorts lightly, eyes on the front of the room as she answers "someone who's got a hypercritical surgeon for a mum. I get it." There is a very short pause before Yang turns around and asks "is your mum ambidextrous? I bet you she is. All the best surgeons are."

I continue to flip through my notes before the speech starts. "Wake up everybody!" A woman says catching the attention of everyone in the room as she walks across the stage "I know, I know, it's grand rounds, where we have to sit and listen to somebody talk about how somebody did something and here's how they did it, and there's not enough coffee in Brazil for this." This earns the woman a few laughs.

"Well, not today." She continues "Today we are going to do. Today I'm going to change a life and maybe make medical history, too. And I can't do it alone, so who wants to step into the future with me?" April cheers making me cringe both inside and out at that. April goes wide eyed in horror and sinks lower than Jackson in her seat. "Okay." Catherine says "that's all right. That's a start. Let's see if I can get a few more. Ryan, honey, would you come out here please?"

She calls to someone off stage and a boy wearing a dressing gown comes onto the stage. "Everybody. This is Ryan." Catherine Avery introduces "Ryan could you show everybody what we're here to do today?" And confidently, Ryan unties his robe and lets it drop to the floor. He is naked underneath. Everyone gasps, the men look mostly uncomfortable while the women mostly perk up a little bit. After we have had a good look Catherine continues "ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to invite a few very lucky residents to scrub in on this country's first penis transplant." We all just sit there in shock.