Chapter 9

It's been a week since Arizona's failed surprise party and I have been dodging both Jackson and Alex successfully for a while

It's been a week since Arizona's failed surprise party and I have been dodging both Jackson and Alex successfully for a while. Unless they are on my service but then I make sure to keep things strictly about work and the patients. I am working on a patients chart, adjusting their meds when Alex comes into the office quickly and closes the door "Izzie is back." He says and I look up at him, he looks on the verge of tears "shit man, are you alright?" I ask putting my pen down. He shakes his head and then leaves.

I mean fair enough his wife just turned up unannounced after being awol for weeks but that is some seriously strange behaviour and I ponder getting him committed. I finish my notes and go and start rounds.

However before I can start rounds I get paged a 911 and I run down the hall. The boy I just wrote notes on his coding "push two of epi!" I demand when I enter the room "what's happening?" His mum asks through her tears "and someone get her out here." I add and I charge the paddles "alright clear!" I shout and everyone steps away from the 14 year old. I press the paddles on his chest and shoot electricity through his system. It doesn't work so I ask them to charge the paddles again.

Thankfully the second time it works and I let out a deep breath. I push the stray hairs from my ponytail out of my eyes and say "I won't half hourly checks on him. If anything changes in his stats page me." One of the nurses says she will do it and I step out to inform his mum. The woman is pacing up and down outside of her sons room and only stops when I say "Oliver coded for about a minute and a half. We managed to revive him and I am going to run tests to see how that happened. We will get to the bottom of this I promise" she squeezes my arm and a tear falls from her eye "Ollie is all I have left." She tells me "his dad died two years ago in a car accident. Please just help my little boy." I nod my head and pat her shoulder "i'm doing everything I can, I promise you."

I stare at the OR board, I am booked in for a heart surgery on a twelve year old girl. Her name is Jocelyn, a sweet girl really who has problems with the valves of her heart. "Can I scrub in on your valve replacement?" Alex asks appearing beside me making me jump, I clutch my chest and look up at him "you made me jump." I say and a smile flashes briefly on his lips before he says "sorry. Anyway, can I?" I look back at the board, people walk past us not even noticing us.

"Are you only asking to avoid Izzie?" I ask placing my hands on my hips, Alex shakes his head "no, I've never seen a valve replacement before." I look over at him with my eyebrows raises, he shrugs and explains "Yang always snatches the cardio cases. She is like a blood hound for them." I chuckle and glance at my shoes "fine." I step forward and write Karev's name under mine as the resident scrubbing in.

We start the surgery and before the silence can become too heavy I ask "how is the baby doing?" I cut into the little girl and Alex, who is standing on the other side of her says "what? The preemie? She's doing good." I smile behind my mask. I begin the procedure as I say "you would do well in peds Karev." He snorts and keeps suction going steadily "why? You want to spend more time with me?" I refrain from rolling my eyes "No because you work well with kids, I've seen it." I glance up at him briefly before focusing on my work.