Chapter 41

We have decided to keep our engagement on the down low for a while

We have decided to keep our engagement on the down low for a while. He hasn't even bought me a ring yet, he wants us to pick one out together because he is afraid he will pick one I don't like. Of course I told him he is ridiculous and that I will love whatever he picks out but he insists I go with him. Apparently Meredith and Derek were also inspired by Callie and Arizona's wedding as they got eloped that day.

Alex went in early to prep for his meeting with Hunt about why he would make a good chief resident. I go into Zola's room, the baby that Mer and Derek are adopting. "She looks good!" I say cheerily, I click my pen "her weight's up and her previous incisions have healed, the labs are within normal limits and she's super-duper cute!" I lean closer to the baby who is currently leaning away from Meredith "aren't you?"

I smile as Zola takes hold of one of my fingers. "So it's an uncomplicated hernia, so you don't have to use any artificial closures right?" Derek asks me, sounding like a concerned dad already. Lucky for me I have handled this before, both the concerned dad and the procedure. "Yeah. No. No, it should be simple." I answer simply "I'll do a short incision in her suprapubic crease to do a traditional exposure, and then I'll..." Zola starts crying and I look between the two doctors a little confused.

"You need a pacifier." I muse moving to get one, "Zola haste eaten because of the surgery. She's probably really hungry." I hold out the thing. "You might wanna try and soothe her with a pacifier." I advise Meredith who looks like she would rather be anywhere else right now. I place the pacifier in her mouth and Zola stops crying. Smiling I step back and say "alright. I'll call you when we're ready to come take her up."

-

"What you got?" Lucy asks coming over to me, Alex and Bailey surveying a woman on a bed. Alex is writing something down on a board "seventeen-year-old pregnant female with syncopal episode outside the ER. " He explains as Bailey is scanning her stomach. The machines beep and Bailey adds "she's got blood in her left lower quadrant. Could be a splenic rupture but it's hard to tell." The woman on the bed moves her head so it is facing up rather than the side. She doesn't even open her eyes as she mutters "Abena?" Alex raises his head and steps closer to his patient "Abena's fine." He assures her "don't worry about her right now. You need to worry about yourself. You need to have surgery."

I look at Alex before turning to the girl "Lebo, why didn't you tell us you were pregnant?" I ask softly and this time her eyes flutter open for a second "you would have said I cannot fly." She answers "I had to be here for my sister. Is something wrong with my baby?" Lucy has taken over the scanning and is staring at the screen intently. "I see strong heartbeat." She says confidently "but there's not much fluid surrounding the baby and he's very small for 32 weeks."

I frown and look at the screen as well "she's eight months along?" I ask and Lucy nods finally tearing her eyes away from the screen "yeah." She says "I'm gonna need to monitor this baby." Bailey starts doing things. I place my hands in my pockets "we need to take her to CT first to see where the abdominal bleeding is coming from." I say, Lucy nods with her eyes glued back to the screen "ok I'll meet you in surgery."