Chapter 50

"Sorry Karev I'm gonna need your esophageal atresia

"Sorry Karev I'm gonna need your esophageal atresia." Arizona says to Alex as I round the corner, he hands her his charts "and you have a pyloric stenosis." She says "I might need that one too." Alex is completely confused as Arizona takes his things. "What are you.... why?" He asks and I come over to them "cause we have a prospective Peds fellow coming in today, and she's being courted by the big guns, USc, Johns Hopkins, CHOP, and Hunt asked us to help to make sure she got a red carpet tour, and that incudes scrubbing in on a couple of surgeries."

Alex seems caught off guard by this. Arizona and I start walking away when he says "wait. You're already meeting people for the fellowship?" We stop and turn around to look at him and Arizona answers "well, it's a little early, but when someone with Polly Preston's resume wants observe in your hospital you make time." I flash him a smile before walking away.

"So." I say as we make for the elevator "how many surgeries have we got today?". Arizona looks down at the charts she has collected "including these two." She replies "7." I smile and press the button for the level we need "good, we need to impress this girl."

-

When we finally meet up with Polly, Callie comes over to us "hey." I smile brightly. "Hey yourself." I answer and Arizona turns around "oh hey, Dr Torres." She says the last part as though there is a different meaning behind it. "I'm sorry." Callie says with a concerned look on her face "I panicked. I didn't mean to introduce you as Dr Robbins. But I guess I didn't know how to say, 'guess what, Mama O'Malley, I'm into girls now and this is my wife."

I let out a long breath and step away, this conversation is clearly not meant for my ears. I clear my throat "I'm gonna show Polly the nuclear protein machines." and we make a quick escape.

"What was that about?" She asks as we turn to corner away from Robbins and Torres. I shake my head and push open a door "it's a very complicated, very long story. If you decide to do your fellowship with us I'll tell you about it." We both laugh.

-

Climbing into bed that night Alex has a pout on his face "what's wrong?" I ask pulling the duvet up over my body. "Are you going to hire Polly?" He asks "for the Peds Fellowship." I sigh and look over at him. "She is being courted by hospitals far better than ours." I say resting on my elbow "and honestly, me and Arizona spoke about it. She seems like a bit of a snob."

We both start laughing and Alex pulls me into his side, kissing the top of my forehead. "So that means the job is mine right?" He says confidently and I snort, hitting him on the chest lightly "you're sill gonna have some competition, don't think you'll be getting off that lightly." Alex chuckles and our fingers interlock gently.

"With you?" Alex says "never."