Chapter 40

Alex and I are having dinner at a fancy restaurant down the street from the hospital

Alex and I are having dinner at a fancy restaurant down the street from the hospital. We only managed to sneak out an hour before the restaurant closed which is lucky because I waited a while to secure this reservation. "We are so gonna get killed for this." Alex says wrapping his arm around my waist as we wait for our table, I look up at him and notice the stubble growing on his face giving him a rough look. I trace it gently with my finger "well, you'll get in trouble. Perks of being the boss means I can go whenever I want." He snorts and turns his face down to look at me.

His eyes are soft and my stomach grumbles which makes him burst out with laughter. The waitress comes over and tells us that our table is ready so we follow her through the restaurant. We slide into the booth and Alex undid his jacket buttons, I pick up the menu and start reading through it. "How do you think things are going with the African kids?" I ask after a few seconds of silence, Alex shifts in his seat and clutches his own menu "good, most people have game plans now so hopefully we can start getting them the care they need." I nod and bite my lip nervously. Alex frowns over his menu "you ok?" he asks and I nod softly placing the menu down. I run a hand through my loose hair "yeah, just with Stark being pissed at you he is taking it out on me so I'm going to be pulling extra shifts just to cover." His frowns deeper and sits back.

"Are you serious?" He asks and I shrug innocently, trying to get the waiters attention from across the room "perks of being the boss." I repeat my earlier statement as a waitress comes over. She is holding a pen and paper and flashes us both nice smiles "what can I get you guys?" She asks and we order our food.

Half way through our meal both of our pagers start beeping and we share the same look. Sighing we both stand, he throws a couple of bills onto the table and we head back to work.

-

"This is Zola." Alex introduces us to the little girl on the screen of the meeting room "she's six months old, born with spina bifida." He continues to flick through different slides introducing us to the children when I get a message. I turn my phone off wanting to give my undivided attention to my boyfriend who is walking us through the new patients in the hospital. Webber turns around to where Meredith and the others are all talking and snaps "you wanna keep it down back there? I'm trying to listen to what appears to be the next chief resident talking." We turn to look as all of the residents who look over at their friend with entertained expressions. Alex clutches the board remote tightly in his hands "before we go." He says "I wanna say thank you to all of you for your participation. It truly means more than I can say."

We all clap enthusiastically for him and I stand up, moving over to his side. He kisses my temple and I smile "you did great." He smiles brightly at me then kisses me gently on the lips. "Now go be a badass surgeon." I say stepping away from him. I head over to Derek who crosses his arms and smirks down at me 'you two are sickeningly cute, you know that right?" He says as we exit the room.

I roll my eyes dramatically "well no one asked you to look at us." I muse and my friend chuckles, nudging my arm gently "how can I not? you two are literally everywhere." We both laugh and I ask him about his trial which he launches into a long and slightly boring explanation about.