Chapter 38

All of the attendings are standing in a x-ray room as Teddy says "she has got a hole in her heart

All of the attendings are standing in a x-ray room as Teddy says "she has got a hole in her heart. She needs bypass to fix it, and she needs it now!" I scratch the back of my head gingerly staring at Callie's scans as Bailey argues "bypass would mean a lot of heparin." And Derek shouts over her "its a setup for a rebelled!" Callie has so many injuries that we don't know which ones are more important than the others and thats without knowing if injuries were sustained to the baby inside of her.

"The hypothermia would kill the baby." Addison adds in from beside me, Chief Webber is the only calm one in the room "traumatic VSD's can close on their own." and Derek nods in agreement "which is why we can wait to repair the heart." My own heart is hammering so loudly that I am sure the others can hear it too. Teddy scrunches up her nose "she's not stable enough to wait." she retorts and Bailey turns to her, raising her hands to emphases her point as she explains "damage control.." and then everyone starts talking over each other. All of us are too close to this patient to work through this clearly, Callie is important to all of us which is why we are struggling, because we are stuck on the what ifs.

I take a breath and place my hands in my pockets, listening to what everyone is suggesting, Owen then shouts "hey!" everyone falls silent "we need to work out a solid plan or she is going to die." I look down at my feet. Everyone sighs and Derek folds his arms across his chest "Hunt's right." We all then get into a circle, working through quickly and efficiently how to go about dealing with Callie's injuries and we start making progress. Who knew that could happen.

-

"So you think that she'd have a better chance if we took the baby out now electively?" Arizona asks when we go to talk to her and Mark about our plan. I wrap my arms around my body and explain "Callie's cardiovascular status could possibly be greatly improved. But we just need to know..." Mark, who is leaning on a nurses station desk finishes my sentence for me "what we want to do." Arizona shakes her head, looking up at the man who 24 hours earlier she hated and says "no what Callie would want us to do. The baby is barely viable."

Mark frowns and looks over at me with a pleading look in his eyes "why are we even talking about the baby?" he asks and Arizona looks back over at him with absolute disgust on her face "did... did you just say that?" She asks crossing her arms and staring up at the plastic surgeon. Mark sighs "no, I'm saying we give Callie the best shot she can get." And Arizona starts arguing back "Callie wants a baby."

Mark shoots back "Callie wants to live." Inbetween their arguing I try to say something but am cut off by Arizona shouting "we all want her to live! But what's her life gonna be like if she wakes up and her child is gone?" Jesus Christ will anyone in this hospital just listen to me? Mark raises his voice then "what's her life gonna be like if she's dead?" I look behind me at April attending to our friend and sort of give her help me eyes.

"Oh god, its not that simple." Robbins scoffs angrily and Mark folds his arms again "it is." I turn away and shut my eyes and wait for them to finish their arguing. This is hard enough without those two going at each others throats every five minutes.