Chapter 74

It's Christmas time

It's Christmas time. My favourite time and Willow's first Christmas. "Have you got the pacifier?" I call out to my husband as said baby starts to cry. I walk out into the hallway and notice Alex grabbing his keys. I place baby Willow into her carrier and Alex puts the yellow pacifier in her mouth. "Got it, let's go." He says picking up our baby, I smile and pull him in for a kiss. I try to deepen it but he pulls away "We are gonna be late." He says and I groan before he pulls me along with him.

The hospital is all decorated for the holidays and it makes me even more cheerful. "I'll take Will to daycare, you go start." Alex says kissing me gently on the lips, I raise my eyebrow "Will?" I ask and he looks at me innocently before shrugging his shoulders "It's a nickname." He tells me and I give him another lot "Is that the one we are going with?" I ask, my voice an octave higher and Alex rolls his eyes "Fine, we can brainstorm nicknames later." I hum. Pulling him closer to me and replying in a hushed tone "I can think of a few other things we could be spending our time doing later." I say Alex gasps but a smirk lines his lips "Dr Tearney? At Work?" I smile and he smiles back. "Meet you in the on-call room in a couple of hours?" I ask and Alex kisses me again "You got it baby." and he disappears upstairs

I go and see my first patient before their surgery, a teenage boy who has heart problems. I knock gently on the doorframe, he is talking to his girlfriend who is sitting with him. "Hey Mark, mind if I come in?" I ask and when he spots me he lights up "Dr Tearney, yeah of course." I smile as I come in, gently nodding to his girlfriend "Hello Sidney." She beams at me "Hey Dr Tearney." I take out Mark's chart and scan the new information quickly.

"Good news." I say looking up at the 16-year-old briefly "Everything seems good, we should be able to go ahead with your pacemaker implant today." Mark grabs Sidney's hand in joy. "When can I play basketball again?" He asks and I close the chart, looking at him again "Well, you will need a month for your body to get used to the pacemaker. Start with long walks, get your heart used to the exercise again." I answer, this seems to dishearten the teen slightly so I add "You will be able to play though, eventually." He nods and I step back.

"I'll see you in surgery," I say before taking my leave. However, just as I reach the door, I hear something hit the floor and then Mark calls out "Sidney!" I spin back around and spot Sydney. I rush over to her "Sidney?" I call "Sidney can you hear me?" She doesn't reply, she keeps shaking uncontrollably on the floor. Mark is leaning over the side of his bed, the wires attaching him to the machine dangling off the edge "What's happening?" He asks. Sydney goes suddenly still and I check her pulse "Someone get a crash cart in here stat!" I shout to the nurses outside as I start to press on her chest to keep her breathing.

Nurses come racing in with a crash cart and we get everything ready. I grab the paddles and am about to press them against the girl's body when Mark shouts "Wait! Will that hurt the baby?" This makes me hesitate and I look up at him "Sidney is pregnant?" I ask and he nods. Shit. I shake my head, answering his question before placing the paddles on her body "Clear!" I shout and I shock her. Nothing. We try again.