6.3

*disclaimer: most of the timeline I follow is the same as what actually happens to the boys, however I may change one or two things just to fit the story so don't yell at me if it isn't exactly how something happened.*

Maddie's POV

A soft knock on my door brought my attention away from the scattered papers on my desk, and back to reality. I reach over and open the door, a smiling Ashton peeking his head in.

"Hey Madds," He walks into my room, looking over my shoulder at the papers on my desk. "What are you doing?" He squints at all the writing, resting his hands on either side of my chair.

"College applications," I sigh, running a hand through my hair and turning back to my desk. The past few weeks I had been too absorbed in everything that was happening that I almost forgot about everything I needed to do for school. It has been over a week since Zach's funeral, and these packets are due in two days. I have to snap back into reality. I need to focus.

"Looks tedious," Ashton wiggles his eyebrows at his use of a, what he likes to call, 'smart word'. He bends over, picking a few envelopes of packets out of my trash. "What about these ones?" he frowns, flipping through them.

"I'm not applying there," I shrug. "I'm just going to stick with community colleges because it's all I can afford."

"Madds," Ashton turns my chair around so I am facing him. "You are too smart to give up like this. These colleges would pay to have you!"

"It's just easier this way," I bite down on my cheek, avoiding Ashton's gaze. "It's just reality."

"These are great schools," he whispers, looking through the packets. "Wow."

"That doesn't change the fact I can't go there. They give out financial aid but not enough for me to be able to go. It's just fact." I turn back to my desk, hoping the horrible feeling in my stomach will fade.

"Well, I will throw these out for you. Where are Luke and Mikey? I have to talk to them," Ashton heads towards the door.

"I think out back, they are doing band stuff." I start rereading the essay I had just written. "What is with all these band meetings lately?"

"Just, er, planning things," Ashton mumbles, patting my head and walking out into the hallway.

Ashton's POV

"Hey," I take a seat next to Luke and Michael on the back porch. Calum was kicking a soccer ball against the fence, his shirt peeled off and laying on the grass.

"Oi, C-Dizzle get over here, Ashton is here so we can start," Luke calls over to Calum with a laugh. He runs over to us, taking a seat and throwing his soccer ball behind him.

"So, everything is set, right?" I smile excitedly. My mind was racing with possibilities for the future.

"Yep, I got off of the phone with our manager an hour ago," Luke grins. We all exchange anxious glances. This was really happening. It was terrifying, yet exhilarating.

"Holy shit," Calum whispers, looking at us all with a real smile. "Give us the details!" He laughs, punching Luke's arm in excitement.

Maddie's POV

Finishing up my last application, I throw my pencil on the floor with a groan and plop onto my bed. My brain is fried and so is my future. I could hear the back door open, and suddenly the silent house was filled with laughter and screaming. The boys must be done their 'meeting'. I swear they never get anything done, they must have had a meeting every day this week. I mean, they have been doing more interviews, and shows but what could they possibly need to plan out? I bet they just sit there eating and gaming. That wouldn't surprise me.