1.6

Paying attention in school is hard enough without the anxiety of tonight's plans clogging up my brain receptors. Every class I went to, I found myself nervously tapping my pencil, glancing at the clock, and zoning out the teacher's words completely. I ignored Jonah's stares, my mind set on one thing, and one thing only; tonight.

Ashton said we could pull this off, but no matter how many times I tried to formulate a plan, all I was left with was untied strings of action. I had no way to contact the boys, and no way to get to them. The worst part was, my mother would be home when I got off the bus this afternoon which would make an escape impossible. I could borrow someone else's phone, but I didn't have Ashton or Luke's numbers memorized. By last period, my brain was filled with broken pieces of my nonexistent plan. The last bell gave me no relief today. I slammed my locker shut and passed all of the happily chattering students, ready for the weekend.

Walking out to the bus, I tried, and succeeded, to avoid any person who would have wanted to talk to me. There was no way I could force a fake smile right now. I kept telling myself to keep my eyes on the ground and go straight to my bus in fear of snapping at someone, anger and frustration boiling off my anxiety.

"Maddie" I hear someone call out. I groan, speeding up and acting as if I didn't hear them. "Maddie!" they shouted again. I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. I knew that voice. I knew that high pitched plead. I turned around, students bumping against my shoulder on each side, to see in the far distance a curly haired boy standing in front of his car.

"Ashton?" I mutter, unable to register the site before me. I see a taller boy step out from the car, he waves his hands high in the air. I begin to laugh, not an amused that-was-a-funny-joke kind of laugh, the kind of laugh that is a release of all of your bottled up stress. The kind of laugh a mental person makes. I began pushing against the crowd, nearly toppling over against the traffic, until I was in clear sight of the boys. Ashton and Luke high fived each other, waving me over.

"Oh my gosh, what are you doing here?" I glance behind me to make sure there were no teachers around. I cringed at the thought of the principal seeing them out here, seeing me with them. I shook the thoughts out of my mind, I was not my mother.

"We are here to rescue you," Luke bowed in a prince-like gesture. He pulled me in for a hug, giving me a quick kiss on the lips.

"We are kidnapping you," Calum peeked his head out of the car.

"We figured you could call your mom and tell her someone gave you a lift to the library," Ashton giggled as if they were pure geniuses. Although, right now they were. I twiddled my thumbs, looking around us once more. Could I really get away with this? I know my mother wouldn't bother to check in on me later, she trusts me too much. Plus, she really couldn't considering she took my phone. I knew if I thought about this too much, the guilt in the pit of my stomach would spread and engulf my entire being.

"Okay," I nodded, trying to just go with it, although that was not something I was strong at. The boys cheered. I pushed against the warning signs in my mind. I turned away from my conscious telling me to turn around and get on my bus. I needed this. I needed some rebellion. I borrowed Ashton's phone, dialing my mother's number. As expected, it went straight to voicemail.

"Hey mom, its Madeline, just wanted to let you know that Jonah and Bryce gave me a ride to the library, so that's where you'll find me until like 11:30ish depending on how long studying takes us. Thanks, bye." I hang up quickly, biting my lip.

"To think I thought you were a good girl," Calum smirked, ducking back into the car.

"I am," I muttered uneasily. The end of Luke's lip curled up into a teasing smile as he opened the back door for me. Ashton hopped in the driver's seat and we were off. There was no turning back now. I bit my lip nervously, my hands getting clammy at the thought of being caught. I could feel the boys laughing at me on the inside. Luke put a hand on my knee, looking over at me.