0.8

That was when I saw him. That was when I saw them. Just like that a dagger of betrayal found its way to the center of my heart.

Calum was laughing, standing across from Luke. Luke wasn't alone though. A tall Asian girl, with long shiny hair swinging down her back and a tight black dress showing off her model like figure, had her arms wrapped around Luke's waist. He was looking at Calum while her eyes were glued to his face which was shining in the moonlight. Just as it had done the night before. I must've gasped, or perhaps I squeaked, because Michael began to laugh. Not a normal laugh, more like a punch in the heart, I knew it laugh.

"I knew you were with him last night," his eyes followed mine as we watched the girl reach up to give Luke a kiss on the cheek. My heart sinking into its hidden caverns, my eyes stinging in the dry air.

"I don't know what you are talking about," I mutter, forcing myself to look away from the crime scene.

"Step off it, I can see right through you two. I watched Luke change like ten times, and he kept asking me random shit about what girls like to eat for dinner. I'm not fucking stupid, I've been his friend for years," his words contradicted my feelings. If Luke had been so invested in our date, if he had been as nervous as I was, then why was I watching him spend his Saturday night with some other girl? Some girl who obviously had no concept of personal space.

"You knew he was going to be here didn't you? Did you know he would be with her?" I tried to hold myself together. Michael nodded, looking out into the distance. Giving me no explanation of Luke's arm wrapped around the girl's back. No explanation of Calum pushing the two closer together.

The girl reached up and gave Luke a kiss on the lips. It was quick, but so was the jab in my heart. I guess a kiss wasn't as special as he had led on. I guess the date had went a lot better in my mind than his. Part of me wasn't surprised as I looked at her. She was gorgeous, earning envious looks from each girl passing by. It's not like I could compete with that anyway. Did I truly, honestly, believe I had a chance with someone like Luke in the first place?

She pulled away smiling, Calum clapping Luke on the back before going over to greet Ashton. As much as I wanted to look away, to act as if the images before me were a figment of my imagination, I couldn't help but stare. That was when he saw me. His eyes widened, taking in my "party look". A smile began to spread across his face, I could feel myself getting sucked into it. I could feel myself falling for what couldn't be mine. He was about to smile at me, about to, but then she decided to graze her hands across his jaw line, turning his face towards her own. My heart dropped, along with the cup of water I had been grasping too tightly. I shot up, Michael went to grab me, but I shook him away. I didn't bother to look back at Luke, or Michael, or any of them. I just needed to get out.

I felt my feet carrying me towards the car. My mind was a blur, not registering Ashton shouting my name. I failed to notice the whistling guys who watched me storm through the crowded house. I was too deep in thought to realize maybe I was overreacting. Maybe I had no right to say she stole him from me if he was never mine to begin with.

Just like that the walls I never knew I had come crashing down, the remnants laying at my feet. At that moment it felt as if my heart had been betrayed by something I never had. 

I stormed to the end of the street where we had parked, tugging on the door with hope of an escape. I rested my head against the locked door, my hair and skirt lightly blowing in the breeze that froze me to my core.  I heard heavy footsteps a few cars down, approaching in the distance.

"I will talk to her, she is my best friend, and quite frankly it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't know what the hell is going on here," I heard Ashton growl without lifting my head. His Australian accent thicker than ever behind his anger. They were far enough away where they couldn't see me behind the car. Who they were, well I wasn't quite sure yet. I was afraid if I looked up, they would notice me.