3.6

I shake off my approaching sleepiness, running down the driveway and into the street. I approach the figure, trying to catch my breath.

"Ash," I yell. No response. I catch up to him, able to hear his blaring music from a foot away. He was suffering from his thoughts, the only cure was his headphones.

I tap his shoulder lightly, Ashton freezes, jumping around and yanking out his headphones, face struck with fear and arms up prepared for a battle.

"Maddie?" His voice squeaks, taking a deep breath in realization I wasn't an axe murderer.

"Hey," I say softly, suddenly unsure of what I was supposed to say.

"Why are you- it's like three in the morning," he frowns, putting down his hands and stuffing his phone in his pocket. He slowly began to continue walking.

"I couldn't sleep," I shrug, matching my step with his. "Why are you up?"

Ashton lets out a deep breath, staring down the empty street of darkness waiting to swallow us whole.

"I couldn't sleep either," he shrugged even though we both knew there was more to the other's story.

"Where are you going?" I squint into the darkness, unaware of my surroundings.

"A place I like to go sometimes..." Ashton trails off, eyes avoiding my gaze.

It was weird to think there were parts of Ashton that I didn't know. I had become so accustomed to the idea that we were basically one, that I knew everything about his life. In reality, he had a foggy past and I could barely see through the haze.

"Mind if I tag along?" I ask quietly, glancing up at his moonlight face. Ashton pauses for a moment, battling between the options.

"Y-yeah," he says in a barely audible whisper. "I've never brought anyone with me."

I stayed silent, wondering where he would lead me. Wondering what piece of his past was going to become unearthed.

We reached the end of the street. There was only one way to turn, one road that led into the nook of the small town. The rest of the corner was surrounded by woods. I began to turn, but Ashton caught my wrist. He pulled me gently towards the forest.

I got an uneasy feelings. Darkness swallowing us as we surrounded ourselves into the brush. There was a tiny path, just wide enough for us to walk tightly side by side. It would've been more comfortable for me to walk behind him, but that is always how they die in horror movies. I wasn't taking my chances.

I couldn't see Ashton's face, but the goose bumps on his arms and the sounds of his sniffling made me realize maybe I had intruded on an intimate moment, yet he was ready to share it with someone. Maybe I could hold some of the burden.

Leaves brushed my arms, twigs poking at my sides making me jump. The silence between Ashton and I was filled only by the sounds of crickets and creatures scurrying in the night. He didn't slow his pace until we reached the end of the path, a small clearing ahead.

Ashton hesitated before entering the clearing, I followed closely behind. The moonlight had resurfaced, no longer hidden behind the trees. It illuminated the rows of engraved stones lining the small field Ashton had led us to.

I held my breath, realizing where we are, but not knowing the reason. Scared to know the reason.

Ashton looks back at me, his lips in a hard line, eyes watering up. He pulled down the sleeves of his sweater, holding onto his chest tight. He slowly walks along the rows, turning every now and then until he came to an abrupt halt.