1.1

"Maddie?" Luke's voice was full of disbelief. I smiled as I watched a seed of hope spread throughout his face. Hope that I have come here with acceptance, and forgiveness. His eyes traced over my features, taking in every part of me. I knew he was scanning to find answers. He was trying to find a hole in my wall, trying to see if I had come with words that would break him. This time he didn't have to search far. My wall laid at my feet, not shattered and broken as it had been only last night, but torn down by choice, giving him a path to me. Right to me.

"Hi," I tuck a piece of my hair behind my ear. My nerves were consuming my body. I could feel the fast beat of my heart throughout my veins. "Sorry we didn't tell you we were coming."

"It's okay, you are always welcome here," he grinned, his eyes have yet to leave my face. Luke quickly glanced behind him, looking into the depths of the apartment. He scratched the back of his neck, nervously searching for something. I could see Calum on the couch. Luke gave him a questioning look, but Calum merely shrugged. "Here, come in," Luke's eyes were distant as if he was trying to put pieces together. I wish I could help him with whatever puzzle he was struggling with.

I glanced at Ashton. He had a sly smile on his face, standing back with his arms crossed as Luke and I were talking. It was as if he was watching a movie he already knew the ending too. I stuck my tongue out at him, knowing he was teasing me inside his little brain. We walked in to the apartment, I nervously twiddled my fingers, causing Ashton to raise his eyebrows at me, mocking my anxiety. I elbowed his chest before he could mock me any further. Luke shut the door as Ashton joined Calum on the couch, they immediately began talking rapidly in whispers, their eyes glancing towards the darkened hallway.

I stood there awkwardly, although I'm always awkward, not knowing what to do with myself. Luke walked over, his teeth finding their home around his lip ring. I looked up to him nervously, unsure of what to say.

"Let's talk," his voice quivered ever so slightly with nerves. Knowing that he was nervous too gave me a bit of a confidence boost, knowing that I wasn't the only one afraid of losing what little we had. "Let's go out back," he motioned to the porch. I nodded, knowing I would never be able to talk with Ashton and Calum listening.

Luke walked towards the backdoor, I smiled to myself as I watched how unsurely and awkwardly he opened the door for me. I stepped outside, managing to stub my toe on the way, jerking forward. Cursing lightly to myself, I could hear Luke chuckling behind me.

"You alright?" his eyes were bright with amusement as he shut the door, taking a seat on the steps. I sat down next to him, my face burning.

"Yeah, I'm just clumsy," I laugh, looking up at the sunny afternoon sky.

"I've noticed," he gives me a small nudge, making my heart flutter. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to refrain myself from smiling too big.

"I have to be careful what I fall for," I said sarcastically, my mind speaking on its own once more. Listening to the words that slipped out of my mouth I tried to catch them, forcing them back in, but the empty air carried them off to a place far out of reach. Luke's smile fell slowly. His eyes found a spot on the ground, tracing the cracks in the pavement.

"Did you come all the way here just to reject me?" his eyes narrowed. I watched his biceps flex with nerves, his fingers tracing the rip in his jeans.

"No," I laugh, making his head shoot up, his eyes searching me with confusion. "I came here to tell you that I believe you. I believe everything you told me."

"Really?" he sits up, his smile returned alongside his confidence. His eyes found mine, as if locking in the truth. I nod, hoping words will find their way to my mouth.