1.8

"It's over," was all I could get out. I turned my face away so she wouldn't see the tear that managed to make it past my icy barrier. I could feel her body silently shaking next to me, knowing that she was swallowing her sobs.

"I really thought you were different," she gave me a shaky laugh, "but you are just like the rest of them. Leaving when things get rough. You probably never c-cared anyway," she got up and began to walk away, I could her faint sobs.

Maddie's POV

I had to get away. I ignored the pain in my chest that was trying to weigh me down, to keep me immobile, and to keep me from walking away from the curled up boy beside me. I had to get away from those eyes, the stares that could suck me back in even after all he had just said, yet, as I gave him one last glance before walking away, his gaze was not on me. His head was in-between his arms, his legs curled up to his stomach, his body shaking ever so slightly. I force myself to look away, to walk away.

My arms found home wrapped around my stomach, giving myself a comforting hug, as if it would somehow keep all of the broken pieces together.

It felt like my heart had been ripped out. Maybe that was what love was all about.

As I walked down the darkened alley, I couldn't keep the tears from slowly falling down my frozen cheeks. I couldn't stop the sobs when they began to resurface. I couldn't stop the pain from engulfing me.

How was it possible that something could hurt so badly? This isn't how the night was supposed to end. I was supposed to run up to Luke and give him a hug after the show. One of those hugs when the boy lifts your feet off the ground and spins you around. He was supposed to run up to me, a proud smile on his face. I was supposed to kiss him, and tease him for crying on stage. I was supposed to believe the lyrics behind his new song. I never want to lose my baby. Maybe it wasn't for me after all. Maybe he wasn't for me after all.

I turned the corner, a small light from the pub made me lift my head. I took a deep breath, trying to swallow my sobs. Ashton, Calum, and Michael were sitting on a bench outside of the door. Their heads were bowed, the air between them silent. The streets were empty.

When they heard the shuffling of my feet, their heads snapped up. By the time I rubbed my eyes to fully see them, Ashton's arms were already wrapped around me, his head on my shoulder.

"Madds, please don't cry," He whispered, lightly brushing his fingers through my hair. Of course that only made me cry harder. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head into his chest. I couldn't bring myself to think it, let alone say it.

"It's okay Madds, it's okay," he whispered. I shook my head again, it wasn't okay. Quite frankly I didn't think it ever would be. Overdramatic; I know.

"I told you when the act is over, don't come crying to me," Michael snickered from behind me. Ashton hugged me tighter, but I pushed my way out of his grip, turning to face Michael.

"I didn't come crying to you now did I?" I spat at him. My grief was quickly replaced by anger as I took in his hardened stare. I shook my head, laughing at him. Not a happy laugh, not a pitiful laugh, one of Michael's laughs. A madman laugh. He looked at me questioningly.

"You know what Michael? Fuck you," I yelled at him. For just a second I was able to be strong. That second quickly faded as tears stained my flushed face.

"Excuse me? Did little miss perfect just curse? What happened to Maddie?" He taunted me. I was surprised myself at the words that had just stumbled from my lips.

"Well someone once told me once your heart is broken, like all broken things, it doesn't work anymore," I glared at him, throwing his own words in his face. I was so done with him. Done with them all. He just stood there taking in my words.