3.3

Maddie’s POV

“I can’t do this anymore,” Luke’s voice quivered over the phone line. “I can’t go months without seeing you and pick up the phone like everything is okay.”

I tried to speak, to plead with him, to tell him we could make it. We always make it.

“Maddie, it’s over.”

.

.

The phone line went silent.

.

.

I felt someone shaking my shoulders. I couldn’t turn around, I was frozen staring at the phone screen.

“Madeline wake up,” My father’s voice awoke me from the depths of my dream. Of my low scaled nightmare.

I sat up quickly, rubbing my face and fixing my sleepily strewn hair. Opening my eyes, I saw my father was franticly hovering above my bed.

“W-what?” I yawn, glancing at the clock. It was 6:15 in the morning why is he waking me up?

“Our flight time got changed. It leaves at eight a.m. not p.m.” he paced my room worriedly, fidgeting with his fingers. “You have to get up, we have to leave.”

I gaped at him, stumbling out of bed. “We can’t leave yet!” I croak, my voice still lost in my dream.

“Get dressed and meet me downstairs, we have to load up the car.” My father glares at me before storming out of my room.

I shut my door, searching under my pillow for my phone. Grabbing it, I dial up Luke’s number. No answer. I try Ashton’s phone. No answer. Calum and Michael; no answer.

“Wake up,” I groan, trying each of their phones again. It was no use, I wouldn’t be able to reach them.

Slipping on my clothes, I redial their numbers again and again, waiting for the moment when one of them would pick up. I ignored the part of my mind telling me it was no use. I had to get to them.

I couldn’t leave without a goodbye.

On the verge of tears I try again, my hopes slowly crumpling in front of me. My bedroom door swings open, my father glaring at me.

“It shouldn’t take you twenty minutes to get dressed,” My father walks into my room as my mouth gapes open, listening to the robotic voice telling me to leave a voice message.

I try to ignore his presences, trying again to dial up Luke’s phone number. Just as I was about to hit the green button, my father grabs my phone from my hands. I look up at him, tears threatening my eyes.