0.6

Maddie's POV

Even the worst of days can be brightened by the unexpected. It could be the unexpected compliment you get in the hallway, the one person who decides to go out of their way to say hi to you, the unanticipated extra credit your teacher decides to hand out, or in my case, the unexpected texts I have been receiving from Luke. Every hour, on the hour, I receive a little unexpectedness that helps keep me going through this dreary day of school. When you actually have something to look forward to, time decides to take a load off and slow down. I have been staring at the same white walls, with the same monotone voices passing through one ear and out the other for the past six hours. The tapping of my pencil mimics the rhythm of my fast beating heart mirroring the melody of my nerves.

With each passing hour, after each little note from Luke, I am sucked into a whirlpool of nervousness with no life preserver. From my fingers to my toes, my body has become a butterfly sanctuary, each nerve fluttering throughout me. A new buzz from my pocket helps me escape my thoughts and anxiety.

Time to leave the horror that is school, get ready for some fun!

I smile to myself, rereading the texts that he had sent me each period before.

Want some clues about tonight? Too bad :p

If you manage to survive school, I'll be over at 6:45 to pick u up (:

Be ready for an adventure, maybe we will go outside, you never know I am such a "fungi"! (p.s. that was a joke haha)

Don't eat too much at lunch, save room for tonight!

Don't make a wish at 11:11, save it for the stars (;

Each text brought more excitement and anticipation. I gave him a quick text back to let him know how excited I was.

"You're a literal rebel now aren't you," Jonah whispered from behind me. Blinking back to reality, my ears were flooded with bits of conversations from each part of the room. My teacher had given up teaching the lesson about ten minutes ago, leaving us alone to anticipate the weekend's events.

"Bad to the bone, don't mess with me," I smiled, putting my phone back in my bag.

"Texting in class, and blushing hard. You must be talking to someone special," he poked at my back.

"It's no one," I lied, but he saw right through me. "Fine. I may be going on a date tonight," I sighed, not being able to withstand his puppy glare.

"That is a sentence I never thought I would hear from you," he gasped, clearly too acquainted with my horrible love life. As the bell rang, Jonah and I walked out to our cars as he kept interrogating me about tonight. Since I wouldn't tell him who I was going with, and I didn't even know what Luke had planned, Jonah ended up with no clues. "Well, I hope your mystery date, and mystery boy goes well," he stuck his tongue out at me as he opened his car door, "If you need a quick escape, shoot me a text and I will pretend I'm dying or something," he teased. I waved goodbye to him, and Bryce, who was walking towards Jonah's car, before getting in my own.

With each passing hour I seemed to have changed my outfit and hair at least ten times. It couldn't be too much or too little. I'm sure Luke wasn't having these issues, being a guy would be so much easier. Stepping over the pile of rejects on the floor, I looked in the mirror satisfied. I ended up with a faded floral skirt, a loose, cropped, grey sweater, and my converse. My hair was in natural waves, falling a few inches below my elbows. I wore enough makeup to enhance my natural features, and some eyeliner and rose pink lipstick. Just enough to make me look better than a good day without trying too hard.