4.3

"Has he been acting any different since it happened?" Ashton asked as he stuffed a forkful of pancakes into his mouth. I pushed the eggs around on my plate, having lost my appetite after telling Ashton about the latest turn of events. I rub the tip of my converse against the black-and-white, checkered, diner floor, giving him a sigh.

"I don't know we haven't been talking that much," I shrug. "He's been over Aliesha's house most of the time."

"Have you seen him at all?" Ashton furrows his eyebrows, displeased.

"Well, um, he lays down with me at night until I fall asleep, but we haven't said much." I take a deep breath, running a hand through my tangled waves. "I don't know it just feels off."

"I'm sure this is hard for him, yano?" Ashton sighs, patting my hand which was curled into a ball of anxiety on the table.

"I think the real problem Maddie is having is that Luke isn't hard for her." Calum giggles at his cleverness, walking up to our booth.

"Really Calum? Really?" I roll my eyes, moving over to make room for him to sit beside me.

"What are you doing here?" Ashton whined, throwing up his hands in frustration. "Saturday breakfasts are made for just Madds and me."

"I was hungry and bored and your mom told me where you were," Calum reaches over and grabs a piece of bacon off of Ashton's plate. "Anyway, I think all our little Lukey needs is a reminder of why he is with you and not her."

I paused for a moment, realizing Calum actually gave out a good piece of advice.

"Except I don't know how to do that," I groan, frustrated. "Its fine, this will pass over. He has a lot on his plate."

"I don't have a lot on my plate anymore," Ashton grumbles under his breath, swatting Calum's hand away from taking more food.

"If you wait too long, he might end up getting so caught up in his baby daddy business that he mistakes it for liking Aliesha," Calum steals my toast.

"He-"I pause, suddenly aware that Calum had a point.

Love is not a definite matter. It is deeply intricate, made of layers of the unknown and inexplicable. It is easy to find oneself caught up in a love you don't remember falling for. It is easy to walk into a trap without sensing danger.

She could be a trap.

"No that is crazy, I don't want to be insensitive. I mean this can't be easy for them," I shrug off my taunting thoughts. "The poor girls has been through a lot. I can't complain."

"Suit yourself," Calum shrugs. "If I had someone who meant that much to me I wouldn't risk anything. Just saying."

"Hey!" Ashton flicked Calum from across the table, "I'm important to you."