Chapter 45 - thug?

- Third POV -

"They would love to find you. Wouldn't they, Jet?" Chuckles Smellerbee.

"It's not gonna happen Smellerbee" Smirks Jet.

"Why does the Fire Nation want to find you?" Asks Katara curiously.

"I guess you could say I've been causing them a little trouble. See, they took over a nearby Earth Kingdom town a few years back" Begins Jet.

"We've been ambushin' their troops, cutting off their supply lines, and doing anything we can to mess with 'em" Continues Pipsqueak.

"One day, we'll drive the Fire Nation out of here for good and free that town" Finishes Jet proudly.

"That's so brave!" Beams Katara.

"Yeah, nothing's braver than a guy in a tree house" Says Sokka sarcastically.

"I know right" Chuckles Mizuki. Sokka starts to laugh.

"Don't pay any attention to them" Sighs Katara while Mizuki raises a brow at her.

"No problem, they probably had a rough day" Responds Jet.

"So, you all live in here?" Asks Katara.

"That's right. Longshot over there? His town got burned down by the Fire Nation. And we found The Duke trying to steal our food. I don't think he ever really had a home" Explains Jet.

"What about you?" Says Katara curiously.

"The Fire Nation killed my parents. I was only eight years old. That day changed me forever" Replies Jet in a sorrowful tone.

"Sokka and I lost our mother to the Fire Nation" Sighs Katara upset.

"I'm so sorry Katara" Comforts Jet as he glances at her.

❀❀❀

Sentries keep watch on several upper platforms while the group sits at a banquet table. While the group eats, Jet stands on the table.

"Today, we struck another blow against the Fire Nation swine" Begins Jet. Everyone cheers. Katara, Aang and Mizuki smile while Sokka cops an attitude and a scowling face.

"I got a special joy from the look on one soldier's face, when The Duke dropped down on his helmet and rode him like a wild hog monkey. Now, the Fire Nation thinks they don't have to worry about a couple of kids hiding in the trees. Maybe they're right..." Says Jet as he takes a sip from his wooden cup. A very loud boo is heard.

"Or maybe, they're dead wrong" Finishes Jet as a loud and long cheer is heard.

"Hey Jet, nice speech" Compliments Katara.

"Thanks. By the way, I was really impressed with you, Mizuki and Aang. That was some great bending I saw out there today" Replies Jet as he smiles at Katara.

"Well, they're great. They're the Avatar and dualbender. I could use some more training" Answers Katara shyly.

"Avatar and dualbender, huh? Very nice" Says Jet while glancing at Mizuki.

"Thanks Jet" Beams Aang and Mizuki nods.

"So I might know a way that you, Mizuki and Aang can help in our struggle" Mentions Jet.

"Unfortunately, we have to leave tonight" Admits Sokka before walking away from the table.

"Sokka, you're kidding me! I needed you on an important mission tomorrow" Complains Jet. Upon hearing this, Sokka turns around.

"What mission?" Asks Sokka curiously.

❀❀❀

Jet and Sokka are in branches of the same tree. Jet cups his hands and makes a birdcall. Pipsqueak and Smellerbee reply with another birdcall. Sokka jams his jawbone knife into the trunk of the tree.

"What are you doing?" Asks Jet.

"Shh...it amplifies vibrations" Whispers Sokka.

"Good trick" Replies Jet impressed. Sokka puts his ear to the handle of his knife.

"Nothing yet. Wait! Yes, someone's approaching" Whispers Sokka.

"How many?" Whispers Jet back.

"I think there's just one" Answers Sokka. Jet cups his hands and does another birdcall.

"Good work Sokka. Ready your weapon" Says Jet. Sokka takes his knife out of the tree. His eyes spot an old man.

"Wait, false alarm...he's just an old man" Warns Sokka. Jet ignores Sokka and prepares to attack the old man, leaping to the ground in front of the traveler. Sokka watches with horror.

"What are you doing in our woods, you leech?" Threatens Jet.

"Please sir, I'm just a traveler" Pleads the old Fire Nation civilian. Jet takes a step, and with one swipe he sends the man's cane flying from his hand. The old man backs away, but when he tries to flee the way he came, he runs into Pipsqueak's chest. The force of the impact knocks him to the ground.

"Do you like destroying towns? Do you like destroying families? Do you?" Snaps Jet.

"Oh, please let me go...have mercy" Begs the old man.

"Does the Fire Nation let people go? Does the Fire Nation have mercy?" Shouts Jet aggressively. Jet is about to kick the man, but his foot is snagged by Sokka's club before it can be delivevered.

"Jet, he's just an old man!" Exclaims Sokka.

"He's Fire Nation! Search him!" Says Jet in a hostile tone. Pipsqueak holds the prisoner and Smellerbee steps up to search the poor man.

"But he's not hurting anyone!" Complains Sokka.

"Have you forgotten that the Fire Nation killed your mother? Remember why you fight!" Argues Jet.

"We've got his stuff Jet" Says Smellerbee as she holds up the old man's bag. The old man is thrown back on the ground.

"This doesn't feel right" Sighs Sokka.

"It's what has to be done, now let's get outta here" Shrugs Jet as he pushes past Sokka. Pipsqueak and Smellerbee follow. Sokka looks at the old man who's still on his hands and knees in pity.

"Come on Sokka!" Shouts Jet. Sokka slowly turns to catch up with the others. At the hideout, Aang and Mizuki are playing with the ziplines. They leap near Sokka.

"Sokka! Look what the Duke gave me!" Beams Aang who's wearing a bag and pulls a small pellet from it. With a smirk on his face, he tosses it next to Mizuki, where it explodes with a pop. Mizuki jumps back like a startled cat and quickly lunges for the bag. She grabs the bag and tosses several pellets at Aang's feet.

"Take that!" Chuckles Mizuki.

"Ow! Quit it!" Shrieks Aang. Sokka starts laughing and turns around to face Katara.

"Hey Sokka! Is Jet back?" Asks Katara curiously.

"Yeah he's back. But we're leaving" Scowls Sokka.

"What?" Says Aang confused.

"But I made him this hat" Pouts Katara as she holds up a cap made out of stitched leaves with a flower on top.

"Your boyfriend Jet's a thug" States Sokka. Mizuki raises a brow, confused.

"What? No, he's not!" Protests Katara.

"He's messed up" Sighs Sokka.

"He's not messed up, he's just got a different way of life, a really fun way of life" Exclaims Aang.

"He beat and robbed a harmless old man!" Argues Sokka annoyed.

"That's terrible" Gasps Mizuki.

"I wanna hear Jet's side of the story" Demands Katara.

To be continued

Word count: 1111