𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐖𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄

❝ 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖.❞ — 𝑻𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒐𝒓 𝑺𝒘𝒊𝒇𝒕

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Lilith invited them to enter the house and both entered together, Pauline interlacing her hand with Liv's while she tucked the newspaper under her arm. Sitting on the sofa, next to the fireplace, both of them observed carefully how Lilith prepared three cups of tea, trying to address at that precise moment how she had noticed the two girls little sign of affection.

"Here you are," Lilith whispered, sitting down in front of them and offering them tea, "Now, can you guys explain to me what's happening?"

Liv sighed.

"Apparently the Russians don't want anything to do with Voldemort. They are the first ones to formally reject Voldemort's invitation of anything related to the Death Eaters," she explained, "It's a big thing, Lilith. A big thing."

"Everyone is talking about it. I'm staying in touch with some of the most famous newspapers in France - to inform myself properly now that here in England all the magic newspapers are being controlled - and even there, they are talking about it," Pauline pointed out.

Liv seemed to hesitate for a moment, rubbing her hands together and swallowing hard as one of her legs bounced, nervously.

"Do you think this could lead to a war?" she asked, with a soft tone.

Lilith thought her words twice before replying.

"No," she said, firmly. "No, I don't think so. They are not stupid to fight the Russians alone. Even the Muggles know you don't fight the Russians alone. Voldemort will try to find more allies, little by little, until everyone who doesn't accept him gets isolated and has no other option rather than to join him. He is not as smart as the Death Eaters think he is but he isn't dumb either."

They processed her words, silently, looking through the big window placed in the common room.

"But I highly doubt this won't have any consequences to us," Lilith added.

"It already had consequences on us," Liv pointed out. "In less than four days, three people have been punished. Ophelia Bulstrode lost an eye because she was caught cheating on her husband - some Hufflepuff boy - with one of the Azkaban guards."

"Elise MacMillan had her hand burnt in the middle of Diagon Alley yesterday. They said she was being too kind to one of the muggle-burns at her service in public," Pauline added, disgusted.

"And Elliot Brown was imprisoned. Theo told me they think he is not traitor enough to be married to the girl with who he was arranged in the first place."

"Are you taking the piss?!" Lilith huffed, feeling a mixture of outrage and fury burning deep under her skin. "How can someone not be traitor enough and still be punished?"

Liv shrugged and Pauline shook her head, still gobsmacked.

"I don't know, mate," the blonde continued, "I already told you, Voldemort is furious and he is now using us as a scapegoat to vent his rage. I mean, he has all the power, no one can nor would even open their mouths to talk back to him."

"And now, what? Do we just wait for another Minister to show up? This feels stupid."

"We can't do anything else! You know he won't give up and he is too ambitious and narcissistic to rule only in the United Kingdom. He wants all the fucking world and he knows he can't do it alone without other countries as his allies. At least not without the Elder Wand."