Chapter 94: You still don't hear no after the 10th time

Doug returned to work a few weeks into the new year, when his paternity leave ended. One day when Kali is 5 weeks old Doug is sitting at the kitchen table with his work laptop. Kamala comes out of their room and wraps her arms around him from behind. "Baby, are you coming to bed soon?" she asks kissing his cheek.

"Ummm yeah maybe I just have to finish this. Give me a minute" He says scrolling through documents and writing down notes.

Kamala goes back to their room but returns an hour later "Baby?"
"Yes" he responds, not looking up from the computer.
"Are you coming to bed soon?" she asks again.
"Mhm" he continues writing things down, so Kamala goes back to their room.

A few hours later after coming out multiple times, Kamala emerges for the 10th time "Are you done?" she asks.

"No I'm not. I'm dealing with a hard case this week so just go to sleep, I'll be there soon. I
promise" he snaps. Kamala just looks at him, she wants to yell at him so bad, but she bites her tongue. Doug just sits there staring at her and then eventually goes back to what he was doing.

Kamala turns around to head back to their room, tears filling her eyes. She stops and with her back still towards him she utters these words that she had never said to him before, "I think you should sleep on the couch." She is too tired to have a full blown argument so continues to their room where the tears finally fall.

●☆Kamala POV☆●
*"I am sleep deprived and feel gross. All I wanted was a shower, I haven't showered in a week. Ever since Doug's paternity leave ended, it's felt almost like I am a single mother because he is
busy all the time.*

____________________________________

About 3 hours later Doug finally finishes and goes to the living room ,where his pillow is on the couch with a blanket. He lays down exhausted.

●☆Kamala POV☆●
I get up at 4 AM, Kali will probably be awake soon for a feed. I get up and go to the kitchen to fill my water bottle. As I'm filling my bottle and getting myself some chocolate chip cookies Doug walks in to grab a snack. We make eye contact and I want to apologize.
Doug swallow's hard, then suddenly he get's a notification on his phone, but nothing pops up. We both look down at his phone and see the happy photo of the two of us holding Kali. I feel bad, I know it's not his fault, but I am entitled to shower. I get angry at him in my mind, then I hear Kali cry. On my way to our room I see the bed he has made himself on the couch, with his pillow and a blanket which I put there. I thought he would have at least tried to beg his way back into our room.

●★Doug POV★●

I look towards our room as she walks away. I follow her to the room but stop at the doorway not knowing if I should help or not. Kamala changes Kali's diaper and picks her up, sitting on the bed with her,
"Mommy's got you sweetie, I know you are hungry" she says as I stare at them feeling tears welling up, I walk away and lay back down on the couch. I can hear Kamala as she talks soothingly to our daughter, "You're a very hungry girl aren't you?". I can tell that her own tears
are falling from the way her voice cracks as she says "You look just like Daddy." Listening to the love of my life soothe our daughter makes my own tears stream down my face.