2.

He couldn't get her out of his head.

Laying in bed, at the arrow house. He could hear Grace's little snores next to him, she's been asleep for hours.

Not Tommy though.
Every time his eyes closed, he can hear the shovels starting. Hitting the dirt of the tunnels. He could never escape them.

So instead he stood up and walked over to look out the big window in the room. He thought about her. The girl in the hay. He wondered if she was still there. She must've been cold, as October is coming to an end.

Why does it matter to him? It shouldn't. But it seems she is the only thing keeping his mind at bay tonight, and he didn't even know her name.

*****

The hay scratched her cheek as she started to wake up. Sitting up and blinking a few times adjusting to the the light coming into the stable.

She knew that she had to leave soon. She couldn't be here when Charlie came to the yard. Curly told her that if he saw her in his yard he would for sure chase her away.

She loved Curly. The cute, simple minded man, who would never truly understand how much she appreciates him.

A few weeks ago, she came stumbling into the yard, exhausted, dirty and weak. Too tired to even try to run once she saw him, so she just clasped onto the hay.

He was hesitant, he knew Charlie would be mad at him. But he felt sorry for the girl. So instead he offered her his peach. She weakly reached out and took the smallest bite. Nodding and giving a weak smile as thanks.

"I'm curly...ya,...I work here at the yard for Charlie" he told her "he's always lil cranky so he can't see you here, he'll chase ya out."

She looked up at him weakly, "me names Bella, you can call me Bell though, if you'd like."

Curly nodding in return, taking his hat off to play with it nervously, a habit he will never break.

"You can stay here for the night, if ya want. I'll make sure Charlie doesn't catch ya."

"No no I couldn't ask that of you" Bella said as she tried to get up, but appeared too weak to do so fully.

Putting a gentle hand on her shoulder he laid her back down, " no, you stay. I'll fetch ya a blanket, ya?"

Curly disappeared behind one of the stalls and came back with an old ripped blanket.

" i'm sorry it's not much but it'll do the trick ya it will" he said as it began to lay it on her lap.

Looking up she gave him another smile. "Thank you Curly, you are a sweetheart." Turning to lay down again, closing her eyes and finally letting sleep take her.

"Goodnight Ms. Bella"

Since that night. Curly's been letting her stay in the stables, and occasionally brings her a couple peaches.

It wasn't the best circumstance, but it was safer than sleeping on the streets. So here she was for the time being.

Getting up, quickly gathering her belongings and left the stable.

She needs to find a job, something to help support her. Currently she had nothing, just the old slightly ripped, maroon dress on her back. And a small satchel bag.

She came to small health for a new start. A new start was safe for her, away from the big city of London.

But it can only last for so long until her past catches up to her.