46.

Arthur Shelby Sr. Was dead.

Bella never met him. All she knew was that Tommy resented him. He took the news just like he would any other business. Something he had to get out of the way, in order to move onto the next task.

He was currently on a hunting trip with his brothers and some of the Peaky men.

He planned the trip in order to allow whatever amount of grief the brothers held for the death. But also to tell the men about the robbery.

He said he didn't trust the maids of the house enough to have the meeting here at the Arrow House.

Bella expected him back soon. She stayed at the house with Charlie, trying to occupy herself.

It was easy to admit that she missed him.

And as much as she liked watching over Charlie, she missed working. Counting down the days until the Russian business is over, and the priest is out of the picture.

Tommy recently reminded her that he will keep to his promise of killing the priest as soon as the time is right.
Still she felt no guilt about it, he needed to die.

Peaking out the window for the fifth time in the last hour, still no sign of the men.
They were coming back today and Bella was anxiously waiting in the family room with Charlie and one of the house maids, Mary.

Bella really liked Mary and everyone else working the house. Mary was a bit older, but she was still a good worker and had a kind soul.
Two things that Bella looked for in a person.

"Ms. Ray, I don't believe they are due back for another hour" Mary spoke

Signing and moving away from the window
"Mary, I told you, you can call me Bella. No need for formalities."

Mary smiled at her "right. Of course, Bella."

Bella returned the smile and sat on the couch across from her, closer to Charlie playing on the floor.

Mary sat with her ankles crossed and her back straight as she observed the new lady of the house.

It was weird to think that now. She didn't know exactly what her and Mr. Shelby shared but it was easy to tell she wasn't just a guest.

Mary didn't mind. She enjoyed Bella's company. She took good care of Charlie and was always very kind to the staff of the house.

"You miss him." Mary said. More so as a statement than a question

Bella glanced up at her quickly, before looking back down and pushing some hair behind her ear.
"Umm I do. Yeah...I really do." She confirmed

"I'm sure he misses you as well, Ms.- Bella." She corrected herself with a small smile

They sat in a comfortable silence after that, just watching Charlie play with his trains.

Until there was a knock on the door.

Bella furrowed her brows, confused. She wasn't expecting anyone and if it was the men, they would've just came in.

Mary noticed this, standing up. "I'll get the door."

Bella nodding in thanks, brushing her hand through Charlie's hair.

She listened as Mary answered the door. Not being able to hear who it was, deciding she'd go take a look for herself.

Creeping around the corner, she saw one of the last people she expected to be at the door,

"I'm sorry, Mr. Shelby isn't in at the moment" Mary spoke just as Bella come up behind her