70.

His shoes sank into the wet grass as he walked towards the caravans in the field.

Today was John's funeral.

Although he wanted to respect his brother, he needed to use this opportunity to get an upper hand on the Italians. Mainly the ones who are just trying to make a name for themselves.

This is a war, he knew John would understand.

Stomping on his cigarette when he saw Ada making her way over to him.

She too was wearing all black and had leftover tears in her eyes.
Standing on her toes to wrap her arms around his neck,
"Oh Tommy, how are you?"

Padding her back, he pulled away with a nod.

"How's Bella?" She asked.

When Ada heard that her friend was also in the hospital with bullet wounds, her heart broke even more.
She was worried about them going out to country to begin with, she should've never let them go in the first place.

Tommy cleared his throat looking down, he hated thinking about Bella being alone in that hospital...
"She's hurt. Doctors said they need to run a few more tests, then I can bring her home to heal later today."

Ada bit her lip, nodding. She knows it could've been worse, but seeing Tommy distraught about it made that ache in her heart come back.
Reaching out to rub her brothers arm,
"She'll be okay, Tom. She's a strong girl."

He pressed his lips together tightly, looking down. She was strong.

Tommy made his way in front of John's caravan, looking over at the families faces.
Worn, tired, stressed. That's what he saw.

"This is how he wanted to go...in the smoke."he started his speech about the promises the men made during the war.
That those promises continued after the war as over.
"We died together during the war and....everything after is just extra time."

"And what are you planning to do with your extra time, Tommy?" Polly snarled at him

His clenched his jaw, trying not to let her comment get to him.
He had plans. Big plans for his time.
He just needs to get through this vendetta first.

Looking over to Arthur, giving him a nod.

Arthur returned it, "in the bleak midwinter." He spoke loudly as he started the fire.

The family stood silently, watching it burn.

That was until a gun shot had everyone scrabbling for the ground.

"Hold your fire! Hold your fire!" Arthur yelled

"The shot was from our men!" Tommy announced

Polly's face was mortified, marching right up to her nephew once she realized what happened.
"Using your own brothers fucking funeral! Putting us all in the fire line!"

Tommy looked at her and nodded "that's two Italian men gone now. Two Italians that have nothing to do with the vendetta, wanting to make a name for themselves. We took care of it."

"Who the fuck is we?" Polly demanded

Just as she asked she noticed a few men walking through the field with horses...the horse carrying the Italian bodies...