11.

Tommy woke up just as the sun was coming up.

He slept more than he usually did, but still woke up tired.

Looking to his right he saw Grace was still sleeping. She faced away from him. So he looked back up to the ceiling.

It was time to get up, before the shovels started again.

So that's what he did, he got up, got dressed and went straight into his office.

*****

He had about two hours of peace before the rest of the house started to wake.

There was a knock on the door and when it opened it revealed one of the house maids, Frances.

She was good, did her job and didn't bother him.

Stopping a few feet away from his desk, and folded her hands in front of her,
"Mr. Shelby, Ms. Grace has requested your presence in the dining room for breakfast"

So it began. "I'll be along shortly, thank you."

She nodded and turned to leave him be.

He leaned back in his chair once she left. He didn't want to be here anymore.

He felt the stress creep up his neck, and the shovels starting.
The scraping against the dirt, and the pounding in his head.
A flash of grey eyes crossed his mind, and he thought about what she told him.

Taking in a deep breathe, he slowly exhaled. And repeated. Only concentrating on that action.

After a few times, the shovels stopped.

He felt calm again...thanks to her.

*****

Breakfast played out just the way he thought it would.

The maids and servers constantly coming in, putting things down, taking things away, continuously asking if everything was up to standards.

Grace trying every which way to get information out of him, whether it was his thoughts or about the business. Even if she was to be his wife, she still betrayed the family, therefore he couldn't trust her with sharing such information. But she wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I just don't understand, if you're so busy all the time, you have to be up to something" she told him in an accusing voice.

He stayed leaning back in his chair, hands resting in front of him as he looked over at her
"The family business doesn't concern you Grace"

She blinked at him, the surprise clearly on her face
"Oh? I'm sorry I thought I was considered family once you asked me to marry you?!"

Tommy rubbed his eyes "that's not what I meant"

"Then what did you mean? In a few months we're about to make vows to intrust in each other, yet here you are again. Saying nothing"

Tommy looked at her, he felt the shovels starting up again.

She leaned a little closer to him, "alright fine. You don't want to talk business. Then let's talk about the wedding, considering I'm the only one making effort towards it."