69.

Her head hurt.

It was like a soft thudding in the back of her mind.
But other than that, no pain. Mostly numbest.

Slowly fluttering her eyes open, she stared up at the ceiling letting them adjust to the light.

She was still in the hospital. Her mind trying to comprehend everything that happened.
She was able to register that she had gotten shot and that's how she ended up here.

Moving her eyes down when she heard a soft sniffle.

Tommy was here. Sitting to her right, holding onto her hand with both of his, resting his forehead on top of them.

She didn't move yet, he didn't know she was awake.

He seemed distraught. But he wasn't crying. No, just trying to steady his breathing through his nose.

She gave his hands a small squeeze.

Instantly his head shot up to look at her. Eyes slightly wide, with dark bags underneath them. He looked exhausted...

"Bell..." he said desperately, kissing her hand and quickly standing up to kiss her forehead.

"I'm okay, Tommy." She whispered, her voice a little sore.
His eyes scanned all over her face, trying to convince himself that he wasn't just imagining this.

Still holding her hand tightly in his, he brought his other one up to her face, gently stroking his thumb on her cheek.
"I never should've let you go."

Bella pouted thinking about what happened. "Are-are they okay?" She asked not knowing if she wants the answer

Tommy sighed and sat back down in his chair.
"You took two bullets-" he started, squeezing her hand a little tighter when he said that
"-they were removed. You lost a lot of blood but are expected to make a full recovery."

Bella nodded slowly, waiting for him to continue

"And uh Michael. Took six. Went into surgery and is in recovery. Doctor said it's 60/40 in his favor." Tommy spoke looking down at their hands.

Bella bit her bottom lip at the news. If it wasn't for Michael there's a chance she wouldn't even be here right now.
"...and John?"

He stayed quiet for a long time. When he did eventually looked back up at her, she already knew the answer.
"He didn't make it." She said, feeling the tears fall down her cheeks.

"No. He didn't." Tommy confirmed. "I'm sorr-"

"Don't take blame for this." She interrupted him "this isn't on you."

He held her gaze for a second, before nodding looking back down at their hands. He didn't believe her. He knew all this was his fault. She even warned him against getting involved with Italian families, yet he didn't listen. And now she's laying in a hospital bed and his brothers dead.

Bella tried not to think about John. She knew it would've been a miracle if he survived that. Not being able to get the image of him hitting the ground out of her head. She sighed, still letting the silent tears fall down her face as she looked over her bandages on her left shoulder.

"Where's my ring?" She asked with panic in her voice when she realized her left hand was void of it.

Tommy padded his jacket pocket. "I took it. Don't trust these nurses not to take it from you. I'll give it back to you when you get home."

She nodded, it was smart. Any of the hospital workers can easily take it without her even knowing.
"And when is that?"

"Tomorrow. Nurse said there's a few more tests they need to run...I'll come get you after the funeral." He told her. Having it planned so she couldn't go to the funeral, he didn't want her there. It wasn't safe. She needs to rest and being out in that field is risky, and he won't let her be at risk again.