64.

The air was chilly as Bella and Charlie walked up the path leading to the house from the stables.

Tommy stayed back at the office again tonight. Said he had a lot of work to catch up on and Bella tried not to let that spark of jealously come back when she found out Lizzie was also staying to help.
Lizzie's been a good friend to her, it was just hard to shake the feeling.

A long sigh left her mouth thinking about what could be happening at the office. She was being ridiculous, she knew that.
Over the last few months, Tommy's done everything in his power to show her that she's the only one he wants.

Charlie let go of her hand to run ahead with Baby.
Wrapping her arms around herself, she watched them.

If someone told her when she first came to Small Heath that this was the life she had waiting for her, she would've laughed in their face.

Living comfortably in a big house, a boy she now considers her son, a good dog that'll never leave her side and a loving boyfriend who would do anything for her. It all seemed unimaginable for her.

"C'mon Mummy! We're hungry!" Charlie yelled to her, already at the front entrance with Baby wagging his tail by his side.

Feeling the small smile on her face, she picked up her pace so they could eat dinner together.

By the time they got to the dinning room, Frances had already set the table and was finishing bringing out the food.

She helped Charlie into his seat at the long table.
Bella was sitting down when Frances spoke up as she served the food.
"Will Mr. Shelby be joining you tonight?"

Looking to her right at his empty chair at the head of the table, she bit her lip.
Turning back to the housekeeper, "unfortunately, he won't be making it tonight. Has work to do at the office."

Frances could see the disappointment in her face. Mr. Shelby had been spending a lot of time there and it was easy to see that Ms. Ray missed his presence at home.

"I'm sorry to hear that Ms. Ray. I'll put away his dishes."

Bella's eyes snapped up to hers. "No need, Frances. Why don't you join us for dinner?"

Shaking her head at the offer "oh no Ms. Ray I cou-"

"I thought I told you to please call me Bella." Bella interrupted her with a smile

Frances returned it "thank you Bella, but I couldn't."

Furrowing her brows "why not? I insist, I would love for you to have dinner with Charlie and I."

Looking between the lady of the house and the small boy waiting to eat. It was a very kind offer and she could see the plead in Bella's eyes to say yes.

Hesitantly agreeing to stay and sitting down next to her, not feeling comfortable enough to sit in Mr. Shelby's sit.

Bella offered her another smile, handing her a plate.

"You've been a good friend, Frances. I'm glad to have someone like you around the house."

"Thank you, Ms- Bella. It's a pleasure to work for you." Frances told her truthfully.

The three of them ate their dinner, enjoying each other's company.

*****

After dinner was done and cleaned up, Bella let Charlie stay up and play with Baby in the family room.
Since he was entertained, she decided to give Ada a call. Ever since her friend moved to America, it was hard to have constant contact and Bella missed her.