Chapter 33

×~ Reminiscing ~×

The last few hours of the day quickly passed as the two teens made occasional conversation. Tubbo felt safer than he has in a while but for Ranboo it was the exact opposite. Their mind raced with the possibility of being found, they were filled with fear, and they wanted nothing more than to just run away. The only reason they remained was because they didn’t feel comfortable leaving Tubbo alone. They worried about him, yet they still couldn’t handle the way he looked at them.

“I think it’s about time we find someplace to sleep,” Tubbo stated as they got up from Ranboo’s shoulder and looked up at the now setting sun. The enderman nodded in agreement.

“Yeah, that’s- yeah we should, it’s getting pretty late,” Ranboo hesitated. “I usually climb up into a tree at night but if you want to do something different we can.”

“No, no, that sounds fine, we just have to find the right tree,” The goat hybrid reassured before getting up with a huff. He turned to face Ranboo and offered them a hand. They took it and were quickly dragged to their feet. “Lead the way boss man!”

Soon the two were safe up in a tree that was guarded by the surrounding evergreens. They both sat on the same branch because Tubbo complained to Ranboo that he worried about dying in his sleep and he felt like cuddling them would make that less likely; he just made sure to keep the fact that he mainly just wanted to cuddle them to himself. But Ranboo, actually being concerned about the cold, suggested sleeping in shifts and offered to take the first one. Tubbo agreed, despite knowing he wouldn't like being woken up in the middle of the night too much because he knew it was smarter than just going to sleep and hoping that they’d wake up when the sun rose. Tubbo eventually fell asleep in Ranboo’s arms as they silently gazed at the shimmering stars through the canopy of needles that covered the sky above them.

I examined my surroundings, taking in every small detail I could out of sheer boredom. Ranboo woke me up a few hours ago so they could sleep and I have nothing to do. I’m still tired but at least the biting cold is doing a decent job of keeping me awake.

As I gaze around the quiet forest I can’t help but let my mind wander; I started to think back on the last few days. I remember being so angry at Tommy when we first got separated. I remember that anger shifting to sadness and worry by the end of that first day, worry for my safety, and for Tommy’s. I couldn’t blame him, we were both stressed to high hell and neither of us had slept properly in a while. I hope he’s doing okay.

My train of thought was interrupted when I was hit with a strong gust of wind that pushed a mix of snow and my hair directly into my eyes and mouth. I shrank back at the sudden cold as I started to pull my hair out of my face. Despite being unconscious Ranboo also reacted to the sudden gust of wind by pulling me closer and snuggling his face into the crook of my neck.

A sudden blush flashed across my face when I felt the gentle warmth from his breath on my skin. After I took a moment to get over the shock I happily leaned further into his touch and closed my eyes. It was nice, it almost made the cold bearable, but it didn’t stop my near-constant shaking that had been bothering me all night.

After a few minutes of just sitting there happily, I opened my eyes again in fear that I might fall asleep. I started staring at the falling snow again unsure of what else to do, just appreciating the way that they slowly fell to the ground. 

I missed the way I used to stay up with Tommy when we were taking watch. I had somehow gotten into the habit of accidentally falling asleep sooner than I should have. So Wilbur offered to start waking up earlier so I could get some more sleep. Tommy said that was stupid and offered to hang out with me and make sure I stay awake because he usually wakes up early anyway so why not. Something about that plan didn’t seem quite right to me but I didn’t say anything because I wanted to be able to spend more time with my best friend.

I stopped reminiscing about the past when I realized the sky was a little brighter than it had been before. I subconsciously smiled at the realization that the sun was about to start rising and that I’d be able to get down from the damn tree soon.

819 Words: Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I was hoping that I would be done with this chapter sooner but a mix of procrastination and writer's block halted my plans.