Chapter 50

×~ Gender? ~×

I stared into the crackling campfire in front of me, watching the flames dance and lick at the quickly darkening sky above while resting my chin on my knees. Techno offered to set up my tent for me. I declined at first, then they brought up that I don't know how and that it'd be even harder to figure out with the sun almost entirely under the horizon so I caved. Technoblade made a similar offer to Tubbo, but they're far more persistent than I am.

I wish I were more like Tubbo.

or Techno,

Tommy,

Wilbur,

or even Philza.

Maybe then I wouldn't be such a burden. Maybe I wouldn't have to run anymore. That'd be nice.

I smiled at the thought, but that's all it is, a thought.

I need to leave. I'm endangering them just by being here. They can't get hurt because of me. I'll go my separate way as soon as it's safe. As much as I want to help them I can't help but worry about my own safety. I already lost an eye being reckless and Techno was the only reason I didn't die that night. They won't be able to help me anymore once I leave.

I can't believe I'm this selfish. I'll be taking the stuff they got me with me as well. I'd love to leave it, but I can't lie, having it would be nice. It could even save my life. Gods, this sucks.

My attention snapped to some rustling plants behind me. I noticed two figures approaching from deeper in the woods. I quickly stood up and stepped around to the other side of the campfire. A familiar father and son duo made their way into the warm light, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Jesus christ Phil," Techno sighed.

"Hey mate, didn't mean to scare you like that," Philza said as they rubbed the back of their neck.

"You're fine. Just say something next time," The piglin shrugged before they got back to finishing up their tent.

"I'll keep that in mind," The blonde remarked.

"I'm surprised Wilbur with his big mouth didn't alert us to your approach a mile away," Tommy but in. I waited a moment for Wilbur to make one of their usual snarky comebacks but it never came. They just let out a long sigh before shrugging off their bag and sitting next to the campfire.

"Oi, Will, why are you all sad and shit?" The bright-eyed blonde shouted a hint of concern lacing their voice.

"I'm fine," The brunette said as they leaned forward and rested their head in their hands.

"Okay, whatever," Tommy rolled his eyes, "What's with him?" They questioned as they glanced over at Philza. As this was happening I sat back down, next to the campfire.

"When I told him what was going on he was talking with a friend, I think he misses her," Phil recounted.

"She's not just a friend," Wilbur clarified, "She's the love of my life."

"Fucking simp," Tommy teased.

"If loving her makes me a simp, then so be it," Will said.

"Gods, you've fallen from grace," Tubbo sighed, and a small laugh escaped their mouth.

"You're one to talk," Tommy muttered.

Tubbo's head darted in the direction of the blonde. "Tommy, not now," They hissed, glancing over at me before glaring at them again.

What does this have to do with me?

Tommy paused for a moment before they got whatever point Tubbo was trying to make, "Oh, shit. Sorry man," They laughed, "I forgot he was even here."